We say it every year in this article, but respected people around the NFL, including our friend and SiriusXM colleague Gil Brandt, insist that receiver is the hardest position to pick up and play immediately in the entire league, outside of quarterback. For every Michael Thomas who comes into the league and immediately makes a huge impact, there are just as many, if not more, Laquon Treadwell types who struggle to break through as rookies.
This article, which we’ve been publishing for over 15 years now, details those WRs and TEs who are entering their second and third seasons and could possibly take the next “leap” toward superstardom. Obviously, we’ll start up top with the usual suspects. But because players like Victor Cruz, Allen Hurns, and Tyrell Williams have come out of nowhere in the past, we feel that it’s important to dig deep and examine the situations for a great number of talented youngsters, even if their current predicaments seem impossible to overcome.
Of course, we’ve never been accused of being succinct, and a ton of these blurbs will be utterly useless for those who aren’t complete sponges for every bit of information. We’ve once against included at the top of the article a list of our favorite young breakout options at both WR at TE. More information is obviously below, where we detail just why we love these players this year.
Top WR Breakout Candidates
- DeVante Parker (Mia, 3rd year)
- Josh Doctson (Was, 2nd year)
- Corey Coleman (Cle, 2nd year)
- Nelson Agholor (Phi, 3rd year)
- Breshad Perriman (Bal, 3rd year)
- Tyler Lockett (Sea, 3rd year)
- Sterling Shepard (NYG, 2nd year)
- J.J. Nelson (Ari, 3rd year)
- Tyler Boyd (Cin, 2nd year)
- Will Fuller (Hou, 2nd year)
Top TE Breakout Candidates
- Austin Hooper (Atl, 2nd year)
- Jesse James (Pit, 3rd year)
- Tyler Higbee (LAR, 2nd year)
- Maxx Williams (Bal, 3rd year)
- A.J. Derby (Den, 3rd year)
PLAYERS REMOVED FROM THIS UPDATE (August 7)
- Dorial Green-Beckham (WR, Phi) - Cut by the Eagles in late June.
- Devin Fuller (WR, Atl) - Out for the season with a tor...