Jul 30, 2013
Things have been a little slow-going in terms of our development, since we are, as usual, trying to do a little too much at once and all hell breaks loose quickly this time of the year.
At some point, I’ll learn to get all this stuff out of the way before August 1st, but I definitely work best under pressure, so call it a mental condition. I planned on having all our major upgrades done about 2 weeks ago, but as anyone in the tech field (or any field) knows, developmental things tend to get delayed. If you’re looking for updates on anything else, always check our Site Help page, which is where I’m posting updates.
The bottom line this year is there is no doubt in my mind that our customers are going to be blown away by all the changes we’re making.
I’ll get into them as they’re rolled out, and I’ll post updates here to the blog. First up, is our new Subscriber Homepage. I’ve been trying for a long, long time to come up with a design that is clean, slick, and easy to locate things. I think I finally got it with this new homepage.
Here’s a nice overview of the new page. I think you’ll find types of information are organized much better, and the new page is awesome.
Part I: Navigating the site
We have rolled out a new site design in 2013 and we firmly believe it’s the best we’ve ever had. That’s not only because it’s a lot “cleaner” than before, but it’s much more organized and streamlined than it’s ever been and entails 25% less scrolling down the page to view everything on the page.
Starting at the very top of the homepage and moving downward, let’s break the site down into sections:
- The top navigation – Starting at the very top of the site, you’ll see some key links. They are:
- My account – This is where you can check to change your login information and see when your subscription is set to expire. If your subscription expires February 2014, that means you are subscribed for only the 2013 season. We do “season” subscriptions and not 12-month subscriptions.
- Contact Us – This is where you can contact us for whatever reason. Note: Please check out the site help page before asking a question because there’s a good chance it’s answered at the top of or on our help page.
- Logout – If you’d like to logout for any reason.
- SITE HELP – A detailed overview of everything we have and any possible question you may have. We tend to list the most-asked questions right at the top of this page.
- Social Media strip – Here we have the links to all our of our social media accounts linked by icon (Twitter, FB, Google+, etc.).
- Tool Navigation strip – This is really the “main” navigation, yet it certainly doesn’t link to everything we have and do. It’s mainly for our online tools. On this strip you’ll find links to:
- Home – Will always send you back to the Subscriber Homepage
- MyGuru – Your personal portal to your custom fantasy teams, rosters, etc.
- Leaders – Current stat leaders are sortable by all categories and you can filter to any range of weeks and to your inputted scoring systems to see the leaders in your system (s).
- Red Zone – This is a tool that breaks down red zone and goal line (inside the 5) pass attempts, carries, targets, etc.
- Points Allowed – This tool shows you the points each defense is giving up to each position for any range of weeks, at home on the road, and in all of your scoring systems.
- SOS – This took takes all the Points Allowed data and compares it to schedule to give you a lot of flexibility in terms of seeing each team’s SOS against all positions.
- IDP Stud – The IDP Stud Report will help you identify outstanding IDP’s and their productivity relative to their teammates.
- Projections – In the preseason here is where you go for projections for all players along with comments and much more. During the season, we’ll have weekly projections here as well as projected weekly averages for the rest of the season going forward.
- Teams – Access our team pages here, which will break down all players by positions with stats and more.
- Players – Search for any player in our DB here and get all the info on that individual player including stats, comments from his projections, his 2013 player profile writeup, and more.
- History – This tool shows all history for all players against all opponents going back 10 years and sortable in a number of ways. Also included here are game logs for all matchups (click on the number of games for this).
- Depth – Link to our interactive depth charts.
- Player Compare – Compare up to 4 players in a wide variety of categories in graphical form.
Note: You’ll notice now as you scroll down the page, this navigation bar follows you and remains on the page.
- News – The first main content area you’ll find is the news section. Although probably not as important overall as our articles section, this is listed first because of the obvious interest in the current news. This section contains links to fantasy’s top headlines, our “Breaking News” feed, and our ongoing Player News feed, which will include analysis on the news when applicable. During the regular season, you’ll also find our exclusive practice reports here with updates direct from the teams after the Tuesday (when applicable), Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday practices.
Note: Stay tuned for a MAJOR development of our news delivery this year, one that will be fantastic and will free us up to do more articles and spend more time on what we do best (analysis).
- Articles – Simply put, if you’re looking for any article whatsoever other than a news-related article or tidbit, it will be found within this confined area. We’ll always have at 1-5 featured articles here with a larger photo (this section automatically scrolls through the 1-5 featured articles). The articles (plus all rankings, projections, cheat sheets) are also broken down by type, but in this section the content tab defaults to showing all articles of any type listed by date with the newest article listed first. From here you can click on any of the content tabs to view links to articles on topics like keeper, IDP, strategy, statistical analysis, auction content, mock drafts, miscellaneous, etc. Many articles are hard to categorize, so they will be in the “general” content tab. If you’re looking for an article that clearly isn’t related to one of the content tabs we have, it will almost always be in the “general” content tab.
- Interaction – This kind of stuff used to be spread out all over the homepage, but now it’s all in one area. Here you’ll find our latest polls, chat schedules and transcripts, our blogs, podcasts, and Twitter feed.
- Downloads & Tools – If you’re looking for something that isn’t news related, isn’t an article, or isn’t really an interactive item, it will likely be here. Included here you’ll find links to all of our online tools, smart phone apps, our downloadable excel-based tools and all other downloads including PDF worksheets and more. If you’re looking to download something or use a program or an app, it’s here.
Note: We do have one minor bug we need to fix with the navigation bar shooting off to the right on the MyGuru page and contact us pages.