Aug 13, 2010
First of all, I would like to give big ups to you. That is right, you. It seems you clearly understand we are bringing things up to a new level this year, and by doing so we’re creating some speed bumps along the way. But ultimately, as they say, it’s “all good.”
For example, I know there are a lot of people who took a good amount of time to enter their custom scoring systems into MyGuru. Well, if you did, they have all been wiped out and you have to start again.
While that sounds like a buzzkill, there’s a good reason for it: we’ve completely redesigned the thing. I had a vision of what it should be, and our programmer Jeff Mitchell, who is in fact the man, got it done.
So head over and check it out. Yes, you do have to create your teams again, but you’ll find it’s much easier and faster to do now. I’m really happy with the layout of it all, and it looks so much better. The older version was, admittedly, confusing. This new version is very straightforward and intuitive. Everything is done by team now, but if you don’t want to add your players and all that, you can just create a team and scoring system, and you’ll see customized information. But it definitely is cool to create a team so you can see custom news and notes, projections, etc. You can also take advantage of our Roster Analyzer for the regular season. You can actually check it out now, once you enter your players and the number of starters you can use at each position. If you do this, the Roster Analyzer will look at your roster using our preseason projections and show you what we think your starting lineup should be right now. Once the season starts, it’ll go by each week. The only thing left for us to do is the little + icon on this, which when it’s working will collapse all the player news on the right so there’s less stuff on the page and it’s only your players.
Here’s a complete overview of the tool, which is taken right from the MyGuru page
Why did we redesign MyGuru?
We’ve completely redesigned this area in 2010, so if you’re used to this tool, here are a few things you should know.
- It’s much easier to use. The old design was confusing.
- We’ve dramatically improved/sped up the method for adding/removing players.
- It’s more appealing aesthetically.
- It utilizes our new “Guru Glance” feature. You can now click on your player’s names and view a wealth of information. This is a great addition if you’re looking to compare some players on your team (click the players you want to compare).
- It’s much easier to switch from team to team using the pull-down menu on the right.
- Player news is now completely separated by team, as opposed to all player news for all teams.
Other notable changes for those familiar with MyGuru
- This portal is now 100% tied to your fantasy teams. You don’t have to add players to your team, but to view custom information you have to first create a team and input its scoring system. Once you do you’ll be able to view custom information throughout the site for your league(s) by using the pull-down menu.
- We’ve given you an easy way to access all the teams you’ve created below. Click on any of links associated with your team to do things like modify the scoring, add/remove players, or view custom news, stats, and projections for just your players. Please note: if you click on any of the tabs to access a specific area of MyGuru for any of your teams, there is a pull-down menu on the right side of the navigation bar to switch over to another team you have saved.
Even if you’ve used MyGuru before and don’t recall how it works or are unsure how it now works with the changes, the best way to explain the tool is to start from scratch and explain how to set this up in step-by-step fashion:
- First up, create a team name below and click “create team.”
- You now have to enter team information (# of starters at each position), input your scoring system, and add players (if you have players). You can do all of this by clicking on the appropriate links below, or you can click on the “Manage” link in the above navigation bar and do everything at once.
- Click “Manage” and enter your number of starters at each position, modify the scoring system to best mirror yours, and add players if you already have your team set.
Now, when you navigate the site, you’ll see near the top of each database page (Projections, Leaders, Points Allowed, etc.) your team shows up on the pull-down menu. Simply toggle to your team, and you’re then able to view custom data to your scoring system(s).
And as you access MyGuru, you can access any of your teams and view news for your players, projections, stats, and more. To switch to another team, simple use the pull-down menu on the right of the MyGuru navigation bar.
Roster Analyzer (In-Season)
Once the season starts, click on the “Analyze” button, and if you’ve told us how many players you can start at each position and who your players are, you can view our suggested starting lineup for the week in seconds, along with current player news on your guys.