May 21, 2010
We’ve been working behind the scenes on some site improvements, and we have one that’s just about ready, so we made it live today.
One of my goals this year is to condense our information and tools a little bit. I know most people don’t have the time to read all our stuff and to utilize all of our tools, so we have developed something that I think is quite bad-ass.
We’re going to call this thing something like “Quick Glance,” and as the name suggests, the goal is to give you as much information at a quick glance.
To see what I’m talking about, you can head over to the “Leaders” section of the DB and click on a player’s name. What you see may surprise you, and let me explain what this is.
When you click on a guy, you’ll see the table expands and includes a ton of information, at a “quick glance.” Let’s break down the information you can now see:
- Schedule – Comes in handy when you’re looking at a player. As the season progresses, you’ll see only his remaining games.
- Weather – This little widget from weather.com will show the current forecast in the city of his next game, which is something that will come in handy on game days when you’re looking at your players.
- Points Allowed – Next up, a nice little bar graph that will show your player’s next four opponents and the points allowed by his next four opponents in YOUR scoring system using those opponents’ last four games. Good for giving you some perspective on their upcoming schedule. This will also show the player’s next opponent.
- History – Wondering how your guy has done against this week’s opponent? It will quickly show you how many points your guy has scored in YOUR scoring system against this week’s opponent the last three years, with the dates of those previous matchups.
- Remaining SOS – In addition to points allowed, we’ll show you in a chart how you player’s SOS ranks against the league average for the position all, again, in YOUR scoring systems. This is good for when you’re looking at trades, preparing the playoffs, etc.
- Player News – We don’t have a lot of room for this, but once we’re rolling with player news and information, you’ll see the latest news or injury bite about your player, with a link to his news page with all news.
Now, the one thing I’d like to add, but we might not be able to right now, is the player’s current projection and comment for the season, and during the season show that for the rest of the season projection as well as the upcoming week. For now, we do have links to the player’s current detailed projections and his player page, so that information is a click away. But I want to add the projections if possible because, in theory, with season and weekly projections and comments for both right there, those who don’t have the time to really dig in deep with what we have in terms of content and tools have everything they need right there, all in one place.
Now, what I plan to do with this thing is incorporate it into MyGuru. By simplifying the whole portal and adding this, we’ll make it much more powerful and sophisticated, yet more basic. My idea is, you log on to MyGuru and click on one of your teams, your players are broken down by position down the page. You can hit all the usual links to see things like projections, news, the Roster Analyzer, or to modify your team, but there’s also an expand option that will show all this data for any of the players you want.
And finally, I don’t think it will be too difficult for us to quickly create a little player comparison tool. Simply go to this page and select the player you want to compare and all this data is right there for easy comparison. This should be good for when you’re looking at picking up players on the WW and when you’re looking at potential trades.
More to come as the season draws near, but let me know what you think of this enhancement.