Two more guys to get now

1. Jeremy Maclin (WR, Phi) – Our Adam Caplan is at practice, and he says Kevin Curtis looks bad. Maclin’s still a work in progress, but don’t be surprised at all if he’s starting and being targeted often later in the season. He’s very talented. Heck, I like him THIS WEEK against the Bucs.

2. Hakeem Nicks (WR, NYG) – Those who guessed Manningham over Sims-Walker two weeks ago guessed wrong, and they may not even have a starter in Manningham. Manningham is flashy, but they drafted Nicks for a reason, and Nicks looks pretty good. He has good size and physicality, so he projects best as their starter at split end, on the weak side. With Steve Smith commanding a lot of attention, and with the Giants ignoring the TE, don’t be surprised at all if Nicks is getting 7-9 targets a game starting around November.

Enjoy!

1. Steely says:

Problem is I have no more room on my roster. Already pissed that I dropped Mendenhall in week 2 (but that spot turned into Sims-Walker, so what can you do?)

2. Cotton says:

So who do I drop, Dwayne Bowe or Eddie Royal? Maclin, Nicks or Bowe and Royal, who has the best upside? KC stinks and Royal has disappeared in Denver. So it comes down to team potential and starting QBs?

3. Steely says:

Gotta drop Royal I would think.

4. Steely says:

Would you drop T. Choice for Sammy Morris at this point?
    Is there a place to ask these question besides here where they don’t usually get answered?

5. Cotton says:

Try the Message Board. I just picked up Morris. He should be the “go to” guy around the goal line with Taylor out.

6. Jayson says:

Thanks John, great stuff. What do you think about Sidney Rice compared to Maclin? I’m in a 12 Team non-ppr league and S. Rice is the only bench spot I have available to drop for Maclin. I know the Vikings are a run first offense but Rice is getting his looks. What would you do?

Thanks,

7. WRArtMonk says:

I know you can’t answer this here because then you have to answer everyone’s, but can you make an exception because I was one of the poor stooges left on hold last night when we ran out of time on your BlogTalk radio show?

Should I have the balls in in PPR to start Knowshon & Bradshaw over SJax & Portis this week?

8. markv says:

Both of these guys are still available in my league. Is there a preference of one over the other? Would you take both of these guys over Mohammed Massaquoi in CLE and what are your thoughts on him…. since CLE will be behind all year?

9. ht says:

Okay, John! you were gold with the sims-walker deal. How bout helping a brother out with this one. I have c johnson, d jackson, p garcon, k walter and j knoxville. would you add s rice from minne for either knoxville or garcon? Also
    mendenhall for chester taylor. I know your busy, but one last one. My second league,
    c johnson, bradshaw, r grant and tashard choice. would you stay with these guys are try and add mendenhall? Also justin gage, keep or let loose.
    Thanks, you da man.

Also, love you on sirius. Could just imagine what it must have been like going to your wifes reunion and all the guys there asking you guru questions!

10. spell says:

Wow, great call on Maclin. Unfortunately he wasn’t available in any of the 4 leagues I’m in.

You’re on fire, John, keep it up!

You forgot Nick got 4/49/1 in basically a half against Nnamdi Asomugha :)

And we were on Austin big time, I should have done a post on him Saturday, I was feeling it.

We do what we can.

12. [...] Tip of the fantasy cap to John Hansen and/or Adam Caplan for calling the Jeremy Maclin(notes) game in advance, urging you to pick up the Eagles rookie on Friday. Maclin caught a pair of long touchdowns against the Bucs, clearly positioning himself ahead of the injured Kevin Curtis. [Fantasy Guru] [...]

13. [...] Tip of the fantasy cap to John Hansen and/or Adam Caplan for calling the Jeremy Maclin(notes) game in advance, urging you to pick up the Eagles rookie on Friday. Maclin caught a pair of long touchdowns against the Bucs, clearly positioning himself ahead of the injured Kevin Curtis. [Fantasy Guru] [...]

14. [...] Tip of the fantasy cap to John Hansen and/or Adam Caplan for calling the Jeremy Maclin(notes) game in advance, urging you to pick up the Eagles rookie on Friday. Maclin caught a pair of long touchdowns against the Bucs, clearly positioning himself ahead of the injured Kevin Curtis. [Fantasy Guru] [...]

15. Steely says:

What the hell did Sims-Walker do? He better have slept with the coaches wife or something to get de-activated like that. How about just sitting the bench the first series like most teams do? I’m glad they lost 40-0! Had him in my lineup in 3 leagues and wasn’t able to make the changes. OUCH

Probably late coming back from out Saturday, it happened over the weekend. According to some people, we should have known that by noon Sunday, even though that was 9am in Seattle. Wow!

17. Steely says:

Well, you guys did send an email before the late games and IF I had checked my computer mid-day, I would have known. Just got caught up watching the games and never looked. My bad there.

As an aside, I don’t think I can ever start D. Mason again. start him 1st 2 weeks, he does nothing. sit him next 2 weeks, goes off, start him this week, zilch. Crazy season eh?

18. Mike says:

Should I drop Donnie Avery and add Maclin? I have Steven Jackson, so it is very tough to start two Rams in that offense…

19. markv says:

I have a similar question to Mike… how confident are you on Maclin? Is he a good WR2 or WR3, or do you think he is potentially Boldin/Royal type rookie?

20. Steely says:

Sat Mason this week and started Burleson. Wow, I am wrong every time.

21. bjc says:

John, now that the weather is turning cold in many towns, how about discussing WRs whose value will drop when the weather turns cold? I for one scour the Weather Channel and sites like http://www.NFLWeather.com before game time. Adjusting lineups for weather seems like one of the few edges left in fantasy football. How many players turned on last weekend’s NE/TEN game and said ‘holy crap, it’s snowing?!’.

22. Ariakis says:

If you have a moment I was thinking Ben Watson could be a great sleeper now with Edelman and Galloway out of the way perhaps they work him in as more of a WR3. Your Friday Gamecenter suggests otherwise. Would you say that Watson could be viable or am I reaching? I am debating between Watson and Zach Miller.

23. Burton says:

Week 7/8 Waiver Wire: Any upside in J.Ringer RB TEN? Someone has to share carries with C.Johnson with L.White out. Plus if Ringer does well again, maybe he and C.Johnson share carries the rest of the year? Maybe TEN actually gets back on track? Lots of maybe in there I know. We will have to wait for Week 8 to see if White is still injured and if Ringer gets more carries.

24. Ariakis says:

If LenDale is out then Ringer is certainly worth it in a deep league. That said, they’re having trouble staying on the field enough to get normal touches for one RB right now let alone two.

25. Ray Rice says:

You guys want to comment on how much you all killed Ray Rice as not special and not fast this pre season?

26. Burton says:

Rice certainly seems like The Man in Baltimore. I drafted McGahee late, but unfortunately only started him once when he was scoring the TDs. Now it is the Ray Rice show. Should I drop McGahee?

27. Ray Rice says:

I guess you guys won’t? Im surprised, even today you STILL are not giving him credit:
    Ray Rice (Bal) – He was actually bottled up quite well for most of the game and got his TD on a draw, but it’s all working for Rice, and the most baffling thing about this running game is the disappearance of RB Willis McGahee. He literally went from looking fantastic with 7 TDs in his first four games to looking like he’d rather be doing anything other than playing football in the span of about a week. It’s all great news for Rice, though. He’s getting the majority of the touches inside the 20 and 10, which was not the case the first month of the season.

There’s as much about McGahee in the RR writeup as there is about me…just admit it, that’s why I subscribed. You blew this one.

To say we were killing Rice is a bit off, but we were wrong to say he was overvalued. We went off last season, and he’s much better this year. We try not to speculate and before McGahee disappeared we were actually pretty dead on because we did still list Rice as a player to target and he was part of the “spectacular seven,” 7 great RBs to target as upside flex guys like Bradshaw, Fred Jackson, etc.

Below are some writeups from the preseason from the players to target article. It’s hard to “kill” a player we have on a players to target list.

As you can see, we were not killing him but preaching some caution. Through the first 4 games of the season, McGahee was averaging 5.4 yards per carry with about 10 carries a game and some catches. He had 7 TDs and was the #5 fantasy RB (Rice was #16. That is an example of why we preached caution, but McGahee disappeared for whatever reason and Rice has been great. The thing is, while he did look very good in the preseason, that’s the preseason. There wasn’t much to go by in real games so people were making assumptions about Rice more than going by a fact, and the fact is he didn’t distinguish himself last year. So this time, the assumption proved to be correct.

9/1/09 Update: The Ravens got huge numbers from Rice, who ran 10 times for 32 yards but also showcased his PPR value with an eight-catch, 67-yard manifesto against Carolina. However, he didn’t excel as a runner, and Willis McGahee did get a short score. We still like Rice as an emerging player, but we’re also being realistic and say he’s best drafted as a #3 in the middle rounds – not as a #2 before the 6th round.

· 8/24/09 Update: As of now, Rice is still the starting RB over Willis McGahee in Baltimore. He started again in the second preseason game, and he scored again. HOWEVER, we are being careful not to overvalue him because we still don’t believe he will be “the guy” at the position for the Ravens all year. His role is definitely expanding big time, but we think it’s more of an RBBC than people think. So while we think he’s very viable in this range (7th or 8th round), we expect him to go higher in most drafts.

29. Ray Rice says:

Resepect the reply. You killed him dude, you said he wasn’t special and don;t overpay etc.

No harm or foul, I like “owning up” good and bad. I do it to all my website providers…

30. jon dirienzo says:

hi john,

thanks for the tremendous insight. i have one comment regarding felix jones (off topic but this is the only forum):

he is really struggling in pass protection and the cowboys are not trusting him to get the job done. if you cant block you are not gonna see alot of snaps.

thanks for listening.

jd

31. Jch says:

John, am I crazy for thinking Jaamal Charles has a good chance to outperform Ronnie Brown in a ppr this week?

32. Burton says:

Guru Team, I was starting to worry about Colston – worried that something has to be wrong for him not to be putting up more stats… until, that is, the 2nd half of Week 12. He helped me come from behind and secure 1st Place in my division (even prior to the final Week 13) – love the Bye Week