In a keeper or dynasty league? Get Malcolm Floyd

Every once in a while, I have an epiphany on a player, and often I’m correct with the idea. I have one right now with Malcolm Floyd, who is currently toiling and being wasted behind Chris Chambers in SD. Floyd is a free agent in 2010, and if there is a new collective bargaining deal struck, he will be unrestricted.

This guy can play. He has very good size at 6’5″ and he can run extremely well. He’s great and making contested catches and jumping to get the ball at its highest point from a defender. He’s obviously unproven as a featured guy, but I’ve seen more than enough to believe he could be very good.

And I have the prefect landing spot for him too: Chicago.

Think about Malcolm Floyd on the Bears, with Jay Cutler. How perfect would that be? He’d be the big physical receiver they need, and he’d be Jay Cutler’s Brandon Marshall. Chicago could get him as a free agent in 2010 and he would start and contribute immediately. He’d also quickly give the Bears a very formidable receiving corps.

So if you’re in a keeper or dynasty league, get his ass now!

1. Steely says:

John, I love when you post this type of blog. While I am not in a dynasty league and this one won’t help me particularly, the other one about Sims-Walker was… well, let’s just say I scooped him up in all 3 of my leagues while others were grabbing Manningham. And well, that blog right there, all by itself, has earned my continued subscription to your service. When you nail it, you nail it my friend!

2. Baller says:

I second the post above. I love these “get his ass now” blogs. The MSW blog was huge! I hope you do more of these blogs (when a player warrants it, of course).

3. Josh says:

Not sure where else to post. If Thomas Jones went down, or is benched, who has more value on a week-to-week basis, Leon Washington or Shonn Greene? An owner in my league dropped Washington and Greene is available and I just have a feeling that this might be Jones’ last week and want to be proactive since both are out there. I have Brady, SJax, Slaton, K. Smith, Jennings, Sims-Walker, Cotchery, Vikes Def (keeper league) and I’m 0-4 so could use some juice or a trading chip. I’m blaming my poor start on Eddie Royal and Greg Olsen.

4. Chris says:

Awesome post. This is gold for my tiered keeper format (Can keep any waiver pick up in place of 11th rd pick next year). You guys should post updates to your preseason Contract Year article and include a ” Perfect Landing Spot” section for each UFA that is likely to move. I’m constantly checking back to that article and dreaming up Floyd-like scenarios. How about this one: Mike Bell as 2010 bell cow in Seattle….he’s had success in similar system, is an affordable upgrade for a team with a lot of other holes to address in the draft, coaching/weapons in place there to potentially break out on offense, and Bell sure looked like a lead back in first two weeks. I’m stashing him for this reason and would love to get a sanity check. You’ve got me thinking about junking him for Floyd…

Also…first year subscriber dominating my competitive league with your tools/analysis…when the popular buzz broke on MSW (a week after I got his ass) I ended up packaging him with my 9th rdr McGahee (Another guru win) for Calvin Johnson. Thanks for keeping me ahead of everyone else.

5. will says:

any chance sd comes to there senses and he contributes this year?

6. Ariakis says:

I was thinking the golden keeper is Naanee … how do you rate them for this year and the future? What level of keeper would you compare the two closest to for roster decisions?

7. Phil says:

you deserve props on the sims-walker, no doubt about that. no other fantasy “analysts” or sites even mentioned him. you did not even suggest picking him up, you more or less said you must pick him up, and he’s been fantastic since. looks to be a 1,000 yard guy.

8. Burton says:

Why wouldn’t a team in need, like the Bears using your example, trade for him now and negotiate a new contract?

9. spell says:

What about Floyd landing in Baltimore? They need a receiver with Mason set to retire very soon.

10. ht says:

Okay, John! you were gold with the sims-walker deal. How bout helping a brother out with this one. I have c johnson, d jackson, p garcon, k walter and j knoxville. would you add s rice from minne for either knoxville or garcon? Also
    mendenhall for chester taylor. I know your busy, but one last one. My second league,
    c johnson, bradshaw, r grant and tashard choice. would you stay with these guys are try and add mendenhall? Also justin gage, keep or let loose.
    Thanks, you da man.

Also love on sirius. Could just imagine what it must have been like going to your wifes reunion and all the guys there asking you guru questions!

11. [...] John Hansen urges dynasty league gamers to go get Malcom Floyd(notes). He urges the Bears to do the same: "And I have the prefect landing spot for him too: Chicago. Think about Malcolm Floyd on the Bears, with Jay Cutler(notes). How perfect would that be? He’d be the big physical receiver they need, and he’d be Jay Cutler’s Brandon Marshall(notes). Chicago could get him as a free agent in 2010 and he would start and contribute immediately." Yes, please. [Fantasy Guru] [...]

12. [...] John Hansen urges dynasty league gamers to go get Malcom Floyd(notes). He urges the Bears to do the same: "And I have the prefect landing spot for him too: Chicago. Think about Malcolm Floyd on the Bears, with Jay Cutler(notes). How perfect would that be? He’d be the big physical receiver they need, and he’d be Jay Cutler’s Brandon Marshall(notes). Chicago could get him as a free agent in 2010 and he would start and contribute immediately." Yes, please. [Fantasy Guru] [...]

13. rob says:

I am in a larger keeper league and will grab Floyd who is in the free agent pool.

14. Burton says:

In our keeper league, we follow keeper rules similar to Antsports. I call it a Value Keeper League. The point is that keepers are not forever and everyone has chance to draft the top 3 rounds of studs. Here’s the general rules:
    -can keep up to 3 players for your draft pick two rounds higher than where the player was drafted the prior year.
    -can only keep players for a max of 2 years, after which they go back into the draft pool of players.
    -can not keep a player drafted in the first 3 rounds.
    -keeper status follows the player regardless of transactions.
    -undrafted players can be kept as a 6TH ROUND PICK (see comments below)

We started the league having undrafted players being kept as a 10th round pick. Through the years, we have decreased this down to a 6th round pick. It just didn’t seem fair to give the one person at the top of the waiver wire list such a huge advantage for years for simply being at the top of the waiver wire list and picking up a undrafted player. We start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1RB/WR/TE Flex, 1K and 1DST with a roster of 18. Therefore, our league emphasizes DRAFTING keepers the year or year before they blossom. This keeps our draft interesting all the way through the 18th round and rewards owners who draft well.

15. ViperSteve says:

Malcom Floyd is already 28 yrs old. Even if he hits next year how long will he be good?