Thoughts from Friday and Saturday’s games

Here are some quick thoughts regarding Friday and Saturday’s preseason action.

• I’ve been trying to temper enthusiasm (although probably not well) about Jay Cutler, saying it will be an adjustment and they may be a little slow off the mark. That said, he was without his two best weapons in TE Greg Olsen and Matt Forte, and as he even said they really weren’t running anything other than base stuff on offense. So I’m not too concerned. Again, you can likely get him in the 7th or 8th round, and that’s a big part of the appeal.
  • Really liked what I saw from Dustin Keller, very undervalued.
  • Laurent Robinson looks like the guy for the Rams while Donnie Avery is out. He has some ability, and can do some stuff downfield. He’s not a bad 5th receiver at all.
  • As I suspected all along, it should be Sage Rosenfels captaining the ship in Minnesota. You can sustain offense throwing the ball with him, and there is some rhythm. Glad to see him get TE Vishante Shiancoe all kinds of involved, too. If I owned the Vikings, especially after seeing what the Eagles did last week, I’d sign Plaxico Burress for the stretch run. Your window is only open so long, and Burress is a rare receiver who can make his QB better. Look what he did for Eli Manning. Rosenfels isn’t going to make Sidney Rice, for example, better.
  • Donald Brown already looking damn good; nice player who simply has to touch the ball. A perfect flex starter in a competitive league.
  • Really liked what I saw from Jeremy Shockey. I think the guy’s been humbled. Is anyone else giving him love other than us this year?
  • Also like Robert Meachem, of course. But again, don’t go nuts because it’s far from a lock he starts even later in the year. He should be by now, but that’s not the case.
  • I though Cedric Benson ran hard, which is good. But I was really impressed with Bernard Scott. He came in off the bench second, and I think if he continues to do well Scott will be the backup. If Benson goes down, Scott’s a major, major sleeper. He’s very talented and has a lot to offer.
  • The vibes are horrible in Denver. I’ll still take Eddie Royal for sure, but we have to knock Knowshon Moreno down a notch because Correll Buckhalter will likely open the season as the “starter.” I still think Moreno will be fine if healthy; it’s just that I’m not sure you can count on him Week One.
  • They’re talking Vernon Davis up again. Only a backup, albeit one with nice upside.

• Very impressed with Mathew Stafford. I’m telling you right now, Stafford to Calvin will be special. Lion fans have something to get excited about.
  • RB Kevin Smith looked quicker to me, and smoother as a receiver. I’m moving him up. He’s very safe.
  • Everyone for the Falcons looked exactly like they did last year on offense.
  • I think Marshawn Lynch stinks. He’s not the same guy as he was in 2007. He just isn’t. He’s got some off-the-field issues, and I think they may have messed up his mentality. Fred Jackson will have a large role for this team.
  • Good sign with Trent Edwards bouncing back and throwing the ball to Lee Evans.
  • Good vibes for the Packer offense, especially their OL doing a good job. Ryan Grant should be okay.
  • The Browns are going to be absolutely awful.
  • Matt Schaub has a habit of lighting it up in the preseason, but 7-for-7 is still nice. Good vibes here, for sure.
  • I think the Chiefs will be a mess this year – no identity. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place. They want to go spread, but may not have the receiver, so they may have to lean on Larry Johnson, who they probably don’t want to feature. Oh, and Dwayne Bowe must start and be featured – they have no choice.
  • I think I’m on the right track with the Titans: a lot more talent on offense than people realize. I like Javon Ringer, nice dynasty guy.
  • Byron Leftwich goes 6-for-14 in the preseason and he’s in the lead because of that? That isn’t exactly encouraging.
  • Pretty good vibes in Seattle. I think if Matt Hasselbeck is healthy they will be very competitive on offense, and will do some solid things.
  • Very good vibes in SD with LT playing and Antonio Gates looking very good.

1. Darrel Deleon says:

Awsome information I follow you on twitter and listen to your fantacy show on sirus and Im going to subscribe to your website this year.Great insite on players!

2. Boyd Zander says:

John, Given your evaluation of Marshawn Lynch, I’d like to know what your position on Fred Jackson would be from a dynasty perspective. I’ve owned him since last year in part on your favorable impression. Do you feel he could shoulder a more significant load, should Buffalo sour on Lynch, i.e. be lead back or lead a RBBC or would he always be a change of pace back?

I have considered trading Fred to Lynch’s owner for L White since I own C Johnson, seems to be a reasonable trade since we would each own one of our lead backs handcuffs. However, if it were possible for Fred to work into the lead role and he could handle it, I’d think twice about it.

Thanks for the thoughts on the games, it definitely helps leading up to redraft drafts coming up.

Regards,

Boyd

3. Rudy says:

I see Cutler’s primary targets as Forte and Olsen with Hester clearing out underneath routes. Last year it seemed Cutler liked thowing the deep jump ball to Marshall but he does not have that type of WR this year. The Bears may be a move the chains offense, but few TD’s (good for Gould).

4. Boots says:

John, would you take Calvin Johnson and Kevin Smith in a PPR league? I am thinking Smith will be available late 3rd round. What do you think?

Jackson’s a good back. I’m pretty much convinced he’s better than Lynch, don’t know how they feel about Lynch tho, they do support him. But to me Jackson’s value is on the rise big picture.

I’m moving Smith up, liked what I saw. I’d say he’s a nice #2 for sure. He should catch a solid number, but Mo Morris is still there.

6. Jay says:

I am defending champ in our PPR keeper league and will pick in slots 12/13. I’ve protected Fitz and am targeting a RB/WR with my first two choices – as this will be my 1st RB, who do you like best among Barber, Grant, R. Brown and K. Smith as these fours seem to be likely best RB available when I pick. I am leaning toward Grant or Smith since they are likely to split less carries but am curious what you think.

Thanks!

Donte Stallworth looks like he couldn’t catch a cold. Does he always jump in the air before dropping another pass?

My bad … NOT Donte Stallworth … but Braylon Edwards. Wrong Brown. Still, this guy looks like he needs a drill sargent for a position coach. Sloppy!

9. Jimmerz says:

John, did you happen to see Aaron Brown on the Lions? Dude was explosive as hell. I know it was against mostly third stringers…but speed is speed and he had it. Could be a DEEP DEEP dynasty guy.

10. rollback says:

John, how far does Slaton drop if he loses the goal line carries?

11. eric says:

I am defending champ in ppr keeper league, keeping forte, turner and fitzgerald. I have 2nd overall pick (traded slaton for this since only allowed to keep 2 at any one position) as well as the 12/13 slots. We start 2rb/2wr/1flex. I am torn between who to pick at #2, with choices between: Westbrook/portis/grant/p.thomas/r.brown/greg jennings. I am leaning to westbrook, then grant/thomas and on the 12/13 picking up wr/te (?bowe, witten/d.clark). Your thoughts would be appreciated greatly!

12. Jason says:

Nice insight. I am not looking forward to the 2009 Broncos season. I see a train wreck. Couldn’t agree more on Lynch.

I miss your Hansen OFF football section. I hope you bring it back this year. I enjoyed it.

13. Law Firm says:

You know youvre been a long time subscriber, when John’s “thoughts” begin to mirror what you’re been saying all off-season. Been pushing Keller big time, calling Scott a big time sleeper, and also think Lynch is a stiff. He’s a tap dancer just like Maroney.

Definitely liked what I saw with KSmith out of the backfield. Good hands, and a nice burst after the catch. Bad vibes for sure out of the TB passing game. Kudos, JH.

14. Burton says:

John, please stop with the K.Smith stuff. I really think you are talking yourself into something here with this guy. I got so tired of the RBBC last year with DET K.Smith that I dropped him. Of course the RBBC stopped 2 weeks later and K.Smith was the primary guy. Did I regret dropping him?-Yes, but I found my slew of RB#3s like F.Jackson, D.Ward, P.Thomas were just as good as K.Smith anyway. So what has changed??? and why should I draft this guy so early when DET will be playing from behind most of the time just like last year. If this guy had any Special qualities (other than being an average every down back), then I am totally with you, but last I recall the guy can’t take it to the house because he is missing a gear. Maybe I’m off base, but I plan on selecting an impact player with my 3rd round pick, and using your insight to select some upside/undervalued RBs later in the draft that will do just as much as K.Smith.

15. Burton says:

Unless for some insane reason I don’t select a RB in the first two rounds.

16. Wax Man says:

If I miss out on P. Thomas as my #2, I may be targeting K. Smith ahead of Moreno as my #2. Thoughts?

17. Law Firm says:

Burton,

KSmith is THE GUY in Detroit now, hands down. I’d be thrilled to get him as a #2 RB. His pass catching ability is going to be critical to Stafford’s growth, as he’ll need him often as a check down. In PPR, his numbers could very well increase.

18. Gator in Utah says:

Hello John & Team,

Great work, I love the site! Just curious, any plans to update “The Draft Plan” this week. I have a draft on Friday and was wondering?

Thanks!

19. [...] John Hansen delivered a collection of notes from the opening preseason games, and it’s definitely worth a review. (Please note that it’s pre-Favre). Here’s a quick blurb on America’s favorite Bengal: "I thought Cedric Benson(notes) ran hard, which is good. But I was really impressed with Bernard Scott(notes). He came in off the bench second, and I think if he continues to do well Scott will be the backup. If Benson goes down, Scott’s a major, major sleeper. He’s very talented and has a lot to offer.  [Fantasy Guru] [...]

20. [...] John Hansen delivered a collection of notes from the opening preseason games, and it’s definitely worth a review. (Please note that it’s pre-Favre). Here’s a quick blurb on America’s favorite Bengal: "I thought Cedric Benson(notes) ran hard, which is good. But I was really impressed with Bernard Scott(notes). He came in off the bench second, and I think if he continues to do well Scott will be the backup. If Benson goes down, Scott’s a major, major sleeper. He’s very talented and has a lot to offer.  [Fantasy Guru] [...]

21. mike says:

Doesn;t look like Plax is going to suit up this year….

Thoughts on when Stafford will take over the starting role?