That’s a wrap for mag #7

Whew! It never ceases to amaze me how daunting a task producing the magazine is, but we’re done for another year, our 7th producing the mag. It’s great now because we have a ton of content up on the site, and we have a nice head start for the upcoming preseason.

2009s Edition of FantasyGuru.com Mag

2009's Edition of FantasyGuru.com Mag

I’m not going to lie to you; it’s been a tough off-season. I bought an office building in early March, and did a ton of legwork getting the building fixed up, plus I’ve been busy training our two new guys, Matt Camp and Joe Dolan. But we’ve been in the building for 5-6 weeks now, the mag is done, and the new guys are quickly getting up-to-speed. We’re going to be set for the 2009 season.

I hope everyone enjoys the mag. I think the content is as good as usual.

Of course, we’re just getting started for 2009. We’ll be producing at least one large feature per week the rest of the summer, for one. I’ll be spending some time this month getting our ducks in a row, which includes our new “Draft Guru” stand-alone draft took program. We’re a little behind in the development, but we’re looking at introducing an initial version late this month. If all goes well, we’ll be fine from there, or worse case we need a few more weeks to tweak it. I’m also still planning on bringing in Mock Drafts to the site, courtesy of myfantasyleague.com. Hopefully we can get rolling with that this month. Incidentally, one of the features of the “Draft Guru” program is the ability to mock draft against yourself, which should be cool.

Otherwise, I’ll be really busy the next 7-8 weeks before all hell breaks lose, but I’ll be chiming in here more often, so keep checking back.

Category: Fantasy Football, FantasyGuru.com News

1. Law Firm says:

Honestly, the best year ever. The content is exceptional. Love the MJD interview, and the “32 Q &A” feature was gold. I’d applaud, but I’d spill my Guinness.

Thanks, buddy. If we’re pleasing you to that level, we’re getting it done.

3. JBeau says:

Good job John. Mock drafts through this site would be great. Would be cool if some of the Guru Staff would participate in a couple every now and then too. Happy you chose MJD, he has been one of my favorite players since he came into the league.

4. Jimmerz says:

So out of curiosity, do you make any money off of the magazine? Or is it more of a marketing engine to pull in more subscribers? Just wondering…didn’t think anyone bought magazines anymore, but I guess they do since every year there seems to be an ocean of them at the newsstands.

For us it’s more of a marketing thing, although at the end of the day it certainly doesn’t lose money.

6. Wax Man says:

John – I have not read all of the new content for the 2009 Mag, but I was surprised to see Carson Palmer atop the list of over valued / players to avoid. All of my leagues are auctions and I am hoping to get him for little to nothing. I think he will have a solid year (not elite), but want to understand why he was not considered a top sleeper candidate.

ps. I think the site is “best in class” and other than Rotoworld for breaking news, I use your site exclusively. When do you start your segment on Sirius?

7. TDog says:

I hope that you will once again be sending over a box of
    magazines to our troops. I’m sure they’d appreciate it.
    As always, great work.

I certainly will send to some troops again if I can find some (my wife’s cousin who was there is back).

Palmer’s certainly not overvalued, he’d be on the avoid side of things for now. It’ early, but I need to see nothing but good vibes there. If we do, we’ll remove him, since I’ve been a huge fan of his skills.

9. JBeau says:

I agree with Wax. That was one guy I was surprised to see. I think he will be removed eventually….shoot…John can’t be right about everything!! I have been targeting him late in drafts, so I hope I am right. I think he is this year’s 2008 Warner possibly. Ocho seems to be out to prove himself.

10. Idiot Savant says:

I’ve been going through the articles today…and its a consistently impressive set.
    I agree…your best magazine ever…Many Kudo’s!!!

11. RobC says:

Hi John,

Do you ship the magazine overseas? I would love to buy a copy online to ship here in Australia.

Rob, e-mail us using the contact form and we can give you info you need.