This year’s Cover Interview Revealed

In case you haven’t had a chance to check the previous post – and by the way I’m honored so many people were interested and we had almost 100 posts to it — this year’s cover story interview has been revealed: Maurice Jones-Drew.

I must have said something funny to MJD here given his smile

I must have said something funny to MJD here given his smile

It’s a pretty safe choice, but I think it’s definitely a great one. The angle, of course, is that this is his first season as “the guy” in Jacksonville. He also went #1 overall in our magazine’s expert league, and it wasn’t me who took him, so I’m not the only one who thinks he’s worth a VERY early pick in drafts this year.

I’ll be getting the interview up some time next week, likely late in the week, but needless to say I was glad I went down to Jacksonville to have the sit-down. I say it all the time when I interview these guys, but MJD was a great guy, a total class act. The best way to describe him is that I’ve never seen a player with a better combination of confidence, even cockiness, and humility.

The interview was the longest one I’ve ever done, too. MJD was really receptive, even though I literally had to interview the dude out of the shower, since we were pressed for time.

So there you go, another year’s cover story mystery is solved. Hope you all enjoy the interview and liked the pick. For the record, Matt Forte was my next choice. I also wanted Aaron Rodgers.

Category: Fantasy Football, FantasyGuru.com News

1. Mark Brown says:

booya!

2. Law Firm says:

Again, great pick. I, along with many, thought it would be Forte. I think Rodgers would have been an interesting read as well, so any of the three were “can’t miss” covers. Well done, John.

3. Dom says:

Do i get a free year subscription for getting the player and angle right on? lol

You do get mad props, however.

5. Dom says:

Thanks John, Ive been with you guys since portis was on the cover, im looking forward to another great year.

6. Idiot Savant says:

MJD…one of my favorite players. A top notch guy and player…you really can’t go wrong having a guy like him on your cover.

7. Dom Korbel says:

too funny is there another Dom out there in the FG.com subscriber ranks??

8. flea flicker says:

I just wonder if MJD can really handle being the man this year. I’ve read that his yards per carry went down with 20 + carries so I wonder if because he is so small (built like a tank, mind you, but still small by NFL standards) that he’s cut out to be a workhorse.

9. JAMES LOVELESS says:

I want your job John!!!

You’ll see in the interview, I don’t think he’s going to get 300 carries. I think they’re going to use their other guys some, but his touches will of course go up significantly. Considering he’s been 8th, 13th, and 9th at RB his first three years, that bodes well, plus the OLs been upgraded and Holt will help.

11. Hail Skins says:

MJD over AP? Is this not as crazy as I think it is? I consider myself a Mojo fanboy, but I don’t know about #1 overall. Looking forward to the interview.

12. Dom says:

Ya ill be Canadian Dom tho, that should help.

PPR he’s over Peterson, #2 for me in a non-PPR.

14. matt says:

cant wait for the magainze to come out and love MJD in PPR leagues because of the upgrades on the OL and being the number 1 back now.. keep up the good work love the site

15. austin says:

So in a ppr you would take MJD over Peterson? We give bonues for 100 yds rushing but if MJD gets 300 carries then even with the bonues maybe MJD is the guy. I look for MJD to shine and it couldn’t happen to a nicer guy as well.

16. The Voice of Reason says:

Sure, Drew is a nice little top ten RB, but #1 or #2??? Get a grip. He’s not exactly in an offensive juggernaut and he’ll be the sole target of defenses this year. He’ll start getting nagging injuries and get less than his usual 1200 total yards. Rashad Jennings and Greg Jones are sure to pilfer TDs, too.

17. Hans says:

I think MJD rocks and should be projected as a top-3 back, but to rank him above Adrian Peterson is crazy. If, in your league’s scoring system, MJD projects higher numbers than Peterson, I would say that your league’s scoring system might need some fine tuning. “All-Day” is clearly the best RB in the NFL, in reality, or in fantasy.

18. Please allow me to retort says:

Voice of Reason,

Three year averages for MJD: over 1300 total yards, 13 TDs per season.

Taylor exit + OL additions = MJD productivity increase, NOT decrease.

Was Chicago an offensive juggernaut last season?

Hans, MJD was #4 in a PPR league last year, Peterson was 11th. PPR leagues are basically taking over, so that’s not exactly a scoring system that the masses feel should be tweaked.

20. Mike says:

keeper question….

MJD for a 4th rounder or chris johnson for a 10th rounder, can only keep one..

tough one?

21. MI-5 says:

Mike -

You have to go with Chris Johnson in this case. No doubt about it.

Yep, gotta be the value of Johnson. He is without question special and could be the next Westbrook.

23. Reils says:

So that’s why MJD is rated so high….remember Reggie Bush and Marshawn Lynch.

Could there be a “Guru Curse”?

I will say this, both Bush and Lynch were unlucky #13 in fantasy scoring the years we had them, but I’d hardly call that a curse. They weren’t really traditional cover guys, either, so it’s not like we had LT on there and he soiled the bed.

For the record, the year I interviewed LT (2004), he wasn’t the slam-dunk #1 guy and he was #2 overall and in points per game and had 1800 total yards and 18 TDs.

25. Hans says:

Guru,

The “masses” aren’t always right. Assuming players are getting points for receiving yards, what is the point of adding PPR? With that logic, why not add points for each RB carry? Or each QB completion? I think the ultimate goal of any scoring system is to accurately translate the “worth” of an NFL player’s performance into your league’s scoring system. In your response to my MJD/Adrian Peterson post, you responded by saying “MJD was #4 in a PPR league last year, Peterson was 11th” and noted that the “masses” think this is correct and therefore I am wrong.
    If the masses think MJD is #4 and Adrian Peterson is #11, then I’ll happily stay in the minority. And one more thing…I opened my original post by saying that MJD is top 3 but that All-Day is #1. Funny, your site has All-Day #1 and MJD #2, so we really weren’t far off in our opinions. Not sure why you sprung to the defense of a scoring system that had MJD at #4 and Peterson at #11…

26. ditka85 says:

IMO, I would have to go ADP #1 for the simple reason that he has the most potential to put up a historic season moreso than anyone else. He’s the most likely candidate to put up 2000+ yrds and 20+ TDs and I sure would be kicking myself if I passed that up.
    I can see the reasoning in going with MJD #1 in a PPR though. He’s likely a lock for 60+ catches.

Hans, you kind of lost me but all I was saying is that Jones-Drew should be ranked over Peterson in a PPR league, and that PPR leagues are very popular, so it’s not likely a scoring system that can be considered “wrong” or one that people think needs tweaking.

To your point, I do agree that Peterson is the best back in the league and if your league scoring truly rewards for being great NFL players and for their teams, then Peterson should be #1. Our site default system is *not* a PPR league, therefore we do have Peterson #1.

I also agree completely with Ditka’s assessment of Peterson. In fact, I basically said that in his player writeup.

28. Hans says:

Guru,
    Sorry if I lost you in my previous post. Let me state it this way, based on 2008 stats:

All-Day: 1,760 yards rushing, 125 yards receiving = 1,885 total yards. TDs = 10. Total carries + receptions = 384.

MJD: 824 yards rushing, 565 yards receiving = 1,389 total yards. TDs = 14. Total carries + receptions = 259.

Depending on a league’s emphasis on TDs vs. yardage, I can understand making a case that either one of these two studs had the better season in 2008. But if your league has a system that would have ranked MJD #4 and Peterson #11 on the numbers from 2008, then it’s obvious to me that your league’s scoring system needs to be reviewed.

Please explain to me what I apparently seem to be missing. I understand from your post that the “masses” are going with PPR, but, based on the numbers listed above, does it really make sense? Just because “everyone’s doing it” make it right?

29. JOOCE says:

I think that Hans and I are the only two people on the planet that hate PPR… PPR makes zero sense to me.

Hans, you don’t like PPR, I get it. Again, I was merely saying MJD should be higher in a PPR than Peterson. I personally like PPR because it removes a lot of luck element in fantasy. I don’t think the argument that if you give points for catches you should for carries holds weight, either, not that you said it. It’s a lot harder to catch a pass than to take a handoff.

For WRs, it does reward quality and impact players for their teams who might not normally be rewarded. For example, Derrick Mason practically carried the Raven passing game last year, yet Bernard Berrian, who caught almost half as many passes, scored more points as Mason. I think catching 32 more passes for your team is probably worth more than 2 more TDs.

Also, if you think scoring should more closely be related to actual NFL accomplishments, then maybe Peterson should have had a lot of points taken away for his 10 fumbles, tops in the NFL for a RB last year.

31. Hans says:

Guru,
    Your point on D.Mason makes sense. But the core of my last post was that based on last year’s numbers, using a PPR system, Peterson ranked #11 and MJD was #4.

You never responded to that point. Instead you brought up Peterson’s fumbles.

It’s not about whether or not I like PPR leagues. The point is this…If using last year’s stats, MJD was the #4 RB and Peterson was #11 in your system, and you think that is an accurate system, then rock on!

For those that think Adrian Peterson is not the 11th best RB in fantasy football, I’d suggest trying a different scoring system.

32. Hans says:

John Hansen says:
    May 25, 2009 at 1:47 pm
    John Hansen says:
    May 29, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Guru,
    And, NO, you were not “merely saying that [MJD] should be ranked over Peterson in a PPR league”. Read your posts. You are telling me that my objection to a scoring system that ranks MJD #4 and All-Day #11 is wrong because the “masses” agree with a PPR scoring system.

You’ve got a good thing going, but your inability to accept constructive feedback/criticism is somewhat alarming. Most people would be thrilled to have your gig. Please accept the fact that you are not always right in your opinions. I think most of your customers would appreciate a little more humility and a lot less defensiveness.

We’ll have to agree to disagree, Hans. I don’t think I was being smarmy at all. Again, I never said you were wrong in your assumption, only that the masses don’t seem to agree with you. I focused on your statement that a PPR scoring system needs some tweaking and how the masses disagree with you. You’re entitled to your opinion and it’s not a bad one, but to say a PPR system needs to be tweaked is not in line with the trend in the industry, which, again, was my point.