Aug 31, 2008
This is a tough week for us, since it’s both the preseason and the regular season, so I’m chiming in here to let people know how this week is going to go.
First of all, we have a revised version of the homepage for the regular season, but we’re probably not going to roll that out until Week Two because every year we do this for Week One we get 100+ emails from panicked readers yet to draft who simply aren’t looking on the page for the preseason content. One year, we had a link to the preseason stuff that was literally
On the site and people still didn’t see it.
We’ll be updating the projections and cheat sheets for the preseason one more time, either today or tomorrow morning, depending upon the availability of the people who make them happen for us, and then we’ll be on to Week One.
We’ll be working on Week One Rankings & Projections early in the week, of course, and my goal is to have them up first thing Wednesday morning. We’ll also have an injury update on Tuesday, and then Wednesday we’ll basically pick up on our weekly in-season schedule with the injury reports.
By Thursday morning some time we plan to have our Week One Game center up. This year, we have a slick new interface for them that I expect to have done by then.
The player previews in the GC writeups will be all database driven, so we will easily allow users to switch from game-to-game AND ALSO you’ll be able to view say QBs who are looking better this week, or Reaches of the Week, with one click. We expect to have the game center writeups up on the site earlier this year, too, on Fridays.
This week is kind of a cluster-F with the preseason still in effect, the Thursday game and all, so by next week we’ll ease into our regular schedule. We’ve added some new items this year, too, once again improving our service and what we do. Here’s a quick overview of what we have planned, barring a small tweak or two.
- Fantasy Podcast – We start the week off with an exclusive Podcast hosted by John Hansen and Adam Caplan. They review the events of the week, injuries, WW material, and more. It’s a great wrap-up and early preview of the coming week.
- Post-Game Injury Report – We do a roundup of all the injuries that are “out there” from the Sunday games with any information that has been disclosed by the player, his coach, or by an NFL beat writer. NEW FOR 2008!
- Quick Waiver Wire Report – A very quick look at some players to look at on the WW based on Sunday’s action. NEW FOR 2008!
- Injury Report – We track the status of the week’s injured players, with an early outlook for the upcoming week. We even update these as information comes in on Monday.
- The Stock Watch – A weekly feature detailing which players’ (offensive and defensive) stock is rising or falling, with reasons why. This year, we’re trimming it down for less fluff and only listing players who are truly rising, falling, or holding steady.
- The Waiver Wire – This column will fill you in on a range of players who are worth picking up and who should be available in your league. We rank all the WW players by position and break them down into players who could be available in smaller, medium, and larger leagues and even some guys to pick up for later in the season or long shots to take a flyer on. Of course, we have extensive analysis on each player. We also constantly update this feature throughout the week.
- Inside the Boxscore – No time to watch all the games? No problem! Each week, we look at every play from every game and offer up interesting and hard-to-find stats (such as the number of passes thrown to each RB, WR, and TE) and game analysis from strictly a fantasy perspective.
- IDP Stock Watch – This week’s risers and fallers from an IDP perspective.
- Game Center Misfires – Added in 2007, we review some of the key projections and analysis that didn’t exactly pan out. The goal is to try to understand how players fail to live up to expectations and to learn from that.
- Monday Night Injury Roundup – In footballinjuries.com fashion, we’ll go around the league with updates on the key injuries for the week. NEW FOR 2008!
- The Waiver Wire – We update our extensive WW column as information regarding injuries and expected playing time for the upcoming week becomes available.
- Monday Night Wrap-up – We produce a Stock Watch and go Inside the Boxscore for the Monday Night game.
- Injury Report – We track the status of the week’s injured players with an early outlook for the upcoming week. We even update these as more information comes in on Tuesday.
- News & Notes – An early-week look around the league, with pertinent and informative fantasy-related tidbits.
- Players to Trade and Trade for – One of our most valuable features because of its accuracy, we take a look at all players and list those you should seriously consider trading or trading for, based mostly on their current perceived values versus their future potential.
- Season Player Rankings – Each week we list generic rankings for the rest of the season at QB, RB, WR, TE, PK, and DT.
- Customized Season Player Rankings & Projections- Custom built and sortable, expert offensive projections strictly based on your scoring methods for the rest of the season. Includes expert analysis for each player. Customizable projections now includes Up and Down indicators to help you identify who’s on the move up and who’s on the move down from the previous week. We include our projected weekly averages for yards and TDs for each player.
- Updated Depth Charts – Offensive and IDP included.
- Expert Chat – Chat with NFL Insider Adam Caplan on Tuesday evening.
- Injury Report – We track the status of the week’s injured players with an early outlook for the upcoming week. We update these as information comes in on Wednesday.
- Customized Weekly Player Rankings & Projections – Custom built and sortable, expert offensive projections strictly based on your scoring methods for the upcoming week. Includes expert analysis for each player. Generic yardage + TD rankings also available.
- Hansen on Strategy – Publisher John Hansen’s popular weekly column looks at fantasy football strategies from a wide variety of angles. These will be on topics such as: team maintenance with regard to player schedules; commissioning; understanding the trends; keeping up with the league’s top backup players who are only an injury away from starting; and much, much more. This column also reviews tons of information
- Production Tracker Report – One of our most popular features, we go team-by-team and report on the actual production each team is giving up to each of the skill positions in their recent games (we typically go back 3-4 games). It’s an excellent tool to use to make weekly lineup decisions, trades, and more.
- Wednesday Night Injury Roundup – Wednesday is typically the first day teams practice, and we’ll have a quick roundup with the statuses of all the key injured players that night, as opposed to the next day (when other sites can report what they read in the newspapers; we get info from the teams themselves). NEW FOR 2008!
- Matchup Podcast (A.M.) - FantasyGuru.com’s John Hansen and Adam Caplan are joined by Greg Cosell, the Senior Producer of the State Farm Insurance Matchup Show on ESPN. By this point in the week, Greg’s broken down hours and hours of coach’s tape from the week before, and he shares his insights with FantasyGuru.com Subscribers. NEW FOR 2008!
- (Updated) Customized Weekly Player Rankings & Projections – Custom built and sortable, expert offensive projections strictly based on your scoring methods for the upcoming week. Includes expert analysis for each player and updated through Wednesday practices. Generic yardage + TD rankings also available.
- Injury Report – Our first look at the injuries from the released NFL Injury Report, with info on player status through the Wednesday practices.
- Office Pool Picks – With predicted scores for those.
- Expert Chat – Chat with NFL Insider Steve Cohen or John Hansen on Thursday evening.
- Thursday Night Injury Roundup – We’ll again have a quick roundup with the statuses of all the key injured players as of the Thursday practices, as opposed to the next day (when other sites can report what they read in the newspapers; we get info from the teams themselves). NEW FOR 2008!
- Injury Report – Updated with info on player status through the Thursday practices.
- News & Notes – A late-week look around the league with pertinent and informative fantasy-related tidbits.
- Updated Depth Charts – Offensive and IDP included.
- (Updated) Customized Weekly Player Rankings & Projections – Custom built and sortable, expert offensive and defensive projections strictly based on your scoring methods for the upcoming week. Includes expert analysis for each player and updated through Thursday practices. Generic yardage + TD rankings also available.
- Game Center – We wrap up the week with an in-depth look at each upcoming NFL game. For each game, we take a detailed look at the players who are looking better or worse than usual (with analysis why) as well as the players who aren’t looking particularly better or worse than usual. In addition, we offer up “reaches of the week” with plenty of analysis, the current injury updates for each game, each key player’s recent history against his opponents, including stats, the weather report for the game, lineup updates for important lineup changes, and more. It’s not just a “Start/Bench” feature; it’s much, much more.
- Matchup Podcast Transcript – For those who can’t listen to the matchup podcast or do not wish to, we offer most of the key points brought up by Greg Cosell in text form.
- Looking Glass – We break out player analysis down by position, so you can see all the players by position listed by those who are Looking Better than Usual, Worse than Usual, etc.
- Reaches of the Week - Broken down by position, our long shot options for the week, with analysis.
- IDP Game Previews – A game-by-game look, with analysis on all players of note, IDP style.
- Customized Weekly IDP Player Rankings & Projections – Custom built and sortable, expert projections strictly based on your scoring methods for the upcoming week. Includes expert analysis for each player and updated through Thursday practices.
- Special Team Report – We even cover, rank and analyze kick returners for the week.
- Expert Chat – Chat with a FantasyGuru.com staff member on Friday afternoon.
Saturday Weekend Update:
- Injury Report – Updated through the Friday practices, we produce an extensive injury roundup for each player of consequence (offensive and defensive). We even go as far to suggest when certain injuries (OL, DL, CB, etc.) may have an effect on the fantasy performances of others. Take the weekends off without worrying about missing some crucial information.
- (Updated) Customized Weekly Player Rankings & Projections – Custom built and sortable, expert offensive and defensive projections strictly based on your scoring methods for the upcoming week. Includes expert analysis for each player and updated through Friday practices. Generic yardage + TD rankings also available.
- Fantasy Podcast – Hansen and Caplan check in on Saturday early afternoon, when most of the injury status are clear, and go over each of the upcoming matchups. They go over players they like, do not like, injuries, sleepers, and long shots for the week, etc. It’s a great last-minute look at the upcoming week.
Quick Sunday Update:
- Quick Sunday Update – We’ll have a “quick update” available on the Web by 11 a.m. ET. The length of this report is dependent upon the number of key injuries still up-in-the-air as of Sunday.
- Game-Time Injury Updates – We continue to update the injury situations online until the start of the 1 p.m. games and the 4 p.m. games posting important inactives and lineup changes as reported by the teams. We even e-mail breaking news updates when major news breaks, and we can hit our entire mailing list in less than 5 minutes.
- Weather Updates – If there’s a weather-related problem – like rain, snow, sleet, mud, wind – in a particular city, we’ll let you know about it here.
So, as you can see, it’s going to be a great year on the site, and we’re doing more than ever.