NFL.com expert draft today at 4pm ET

Next draft is today, for NFL.com, this one will be featured on the site, so I need to stand out and draft well. It’s 6 pts for all TDs, and last year I got pinched a little at QB and had to take Marc Bulger. My first pick was Steven Jackson, and I lost Andre Johnson for most of the season, and also Ronnie Brown. So you can imagine how my season went (I was actually in the playoff picture until the final week).

I drew the 5th pick. I wish I could get some picks at the end o the 1st to see how it goes, but I keep drawing higher picks, totally by chance.

This pick is interesting because I may take Tom Brady. I really don’t want to, but I don’t want Steven Jackson at this point, too risky 5th overall. And I am a little worried about Frank Gore because it’s not a PPR league. With the TDs counting as 6 pts, Brady is very safe. Or, if someone else takes him, I’ll just snap up Joe Addai. I hope that’s the case. If I do get Addai, I’ll likely take a QB in the 3rd, hopefully Brees. If not, I may wait until like the 5th for Ben Roethlisberger or Derek Anderson. Or I could get hosed again. If I do, I’ll grab Matt Schaub an maybe Jay Cutler later. I may even get 3 QBs.

We’ll see, I’ll be posting the results as I can while the draft is rolling, starting at 4pm ET.

Here’s my projected starting lineup (PPR and 6 pts for passing TDs). Love this team.

QB: Tony Romo
RBs: Joe Addai, Michael Turner
Flex: Chris Johnson
WRs: Larry Fitzgerald, Brandon Marshall, Chris Chambers
TE: Owen Daniels
PK: Nick Folk
DT: Minnesota

Bench:
Kurt Warner
Jerious Norwood
Dominic Rhodes
Michael Pittman
Anthony Gonzalez
Bobby Engram

Hard to do much better than this, folks.

6:15
: May favorite last pick of the draft: Kurt Warner. Yeah, I could be hurting if Romo goes down early and Leinart is still starting, but there are some guys out there still (Garcia, Edwards, etc).

6:05
: First time I took a PK before the final round, but couldn’t pass on our #1 kicker, Nick Folk.

6:00
: Just missed out on TE Zach Miller, so I grabbed Michael Pittman for some depth and potential.

5:55
: Why not, in a PPR league? Bobby Engram as my #5 in the 14th round.

5:50
: Didn’t really want to do it, but no sense in messing around, grabbed Dominic Rhodes for my Addai pick.

5:45
: Wow, first time I did it all year, but had to take the best starter on the board: Minnesota Defense. 11th round was good enough for me since I love the rest of my team. Could be a knock-out blow.

5:40
: My chance paid off, I got Owen Daniels in the 10th round of this PPR league. Unreal.

5:30
: I took a chance TE Owen Daniels would fall to the next round because all but me and another team had a TE. That other team had 2 picks in front of me, but I tool the chance with Jerious Norwood. Keep in mind I have Turner.

5:25
: Still looking for WR depth, glad to take a flyer on Anthony Gonzalez. If Harrison has issues, I’m golden.

5:21
:BTW, just missed Bowe again in the last round. For this round, needed a #3 and I liked Chris Chambers, especially with Gates a little iffy.

5:12
: OK, now I’m ready to take a knockout shot, my flex starter is: Chris Johnson.

5:05
: Another safe pick, but pretty good value for Michael Turner.

4:49
: Since I played thins safe with Addia, I went for the gusto with Brandon Marshall. Just before I did, I IM’d with my buddy who covers the team and he told me that Marshall promised to him yesterday it’ll be 2 games. We’ll see, but his upside is massive in a PPR.

4:07
: It WAS a PPR league, so it was Gore or Joe Addai. Could pull the trigger on Gore over the very safe Addai. Had I picked 6th, it would have been Gore.

4:21: Things are going well, got Larry Fitzgerald in this PPR league and Tony Romo (6 PTs per passing TD pass).

1. JOOCE says:

do you think that other guys in your drafts read the site and the blogs to get a leg up on you in drafts? only half joking…

2. jbeau says:

Drink your own Koolaid and draft Lynch. Jump out there and take a chance. I think you will regret taking Brady if you do. Maybe some sucka in front of you will pick Brady, and Addai will fall to you.

3. tpwaller says:

Jbeau, agreed. Two other HOF’er Dan Marino and Peyton Manning came back down to earth after their career years.

I like your Lynch idea.

4. jbeau says:

Thanks TP. I think this QB stuff in the 1st round in ludicrous(spell check), unless it’s a dynasty league.

I know, I know, I know. I haven’t done it yet, keep in mind. I would go Lynch but this Jason Peters thing is freaking me out, and 5th is little high to be freaking out.

6. 4runner says:

Can we get the full draft updated online??

Please :D

176 David Gonos Leonard Pope (TE ARI) 8 sec
    177 William Del Pilar Shayne Graham (K CIN) 1 min 13 sec
    178 Tristan H. Cockcroft Packers (DST GB) 9 sec
    179 Michael Fabiano Colts (DST IND) 4 sec
    180 Gregg Rosenthal Bears (DST CHI) 5 sec
    Round 16
    181 Gregg Rosenthal Josh Brown (K STL) 2 sec (4 min 2 sec)
    182 Michael Fabiano Adam Vinatieri (K IND) 13 sec (10 min 26 sec)
    183 Tristan H. Cockcroft Nate Kaeding (K SD) 19 sec (7 min 7 sec)
    184 William Del Pilar Kevin Boss (TE NYG) 43 sec (17 min 52 sec)
    185 David Gonos Kris Brown (K HOU) 1 min 25 sec (8 min 13 sec)
    186 Scott Engel Neil Rackers (K ARI) 30 sec (9 min 34 sec)
    187 David Sabino Eagles (DST PHI) 11 sec (10 min 29 sec)
    188 John Hansen Kurt Warner (QB ARI) 25 sec (7 min 57 sec)
    189 Greg Ambrosius Tatum Bell (RB DET) 55 sec (14 min 26 sec)
    190 Chris Liss Mike Nugent (K NYJ) 15 sec (12 min 6 sec)
    191 Roger Rotter Rob Bironas (K TEN) 20 sec (19 min 22 sec)
    192 Adam Caplan Jaguars (DST JAC) 24 sec (12 min 52 sec)

8. 4runner says:

awesome, ty!

9. jsucaet says:

Hey John – Like your team as well…the chris johnson pick seemed a little out of norm. I wonder if you picked Gore in the 1st if you would have taken a kevin Smith in the 6th

I have to give props to Caplan, though….a core group of Schaub, Tomlinson, Jones-Drew, TJ Housh, Jennings, Curtis, Winslow…to imagine he could have taken Turner as his 3rd back.

10. jbeau says:

Gotta say, I like Cap’s team better. Landing Drew was pretty sweet with LT also. Not to mention my boy Winslow. Like your squad too John, you don’t seem to worried about selecting Warner as your only backup. Play to win pick?? I think he will be gold if he gets to play. Turner is the pick I don’t like. Would rather the Panther’s backfield or Len Dale White, since you landed Johnson. Overall, Guru represented well.

11. JOOCE says:

i would rather have turner than the panthers rbs, given where they were drafted. carolina feels like it could be a full-blown rbbc, while getting turner and norwood could be an rbbc but feels more like a handcuff. lendale went only a few picks after turner… turner was definitely the right call…

2 strong Guru teams.

I also want to point out that one of the guys in the draft is called Roger Rotter, and another guy is called Chris Liss. I thought that was worth mentioning.

12. jbeau says:

I am in the Turner hate camp, so I probably would take anyone over him. Think he will be a bust. that’s just me thought.

Speaking of Roger Rotter….he should have had one of us draft for him. Brady at #2 is ridiculous. His squad is horrendous.

To tell you the truth, I took an important call right before I was up and was surprised, saw Johnson and said “f-it.” I still like it for the upside. Adam’s team is very good, but I have him at QB big time. It’s 6 pts for all TDs, so I have a large advantage there. I also got much better value for my TE with Daniels in a PPR. But he’s loaded at RB and WR. I’d say we’re even. Two best teams, easy.

14. steely says:

As someone who plays in leagues with these scoring rules, I gotta tell you the QB is big. Brady at #2 is not a stretch in my opinion although I personally would not take him until the big 3 RBs were gone. My league also awards the same amount of points for passing yards as it does for rushing and receiving yards so QBs are even more important.
    With that said, I love both Adam & John’s teams although I am not sold on Turner either.
    As an aside, John, you keep making me laugh with these mock drafts. Every time you make a questionable pick, you have a great excuse. Either your kids were pulling you away from your computer or you had an important call to take. Maybe you need a plastic draft bubble where you can be alone and be sure to leave the cell phone outside.

15. JOOCE says:

wow steely, with those scoring rules I might take Brady #1. That means that Brady averaged about 50 ppg in your league…

This time it wasn’t an excuse, more of why I did what I did.

17. steely says:

JOOCE- you’re right, Brady DID average about 50ppg. That’s why it’s hard to know when to grab the QB for me.
    John- I was just kidding with the excuse thing but I would like your opinion. In a league that awards the SAME pts. to QBs for scoring and yardage as RBs and WRs, when would you go for a qb? Lets assume Brady is off the board by the time your draft pick came up.

18. steely says:

by the way, the league I am referencing also is a ppr league.
    Starting:
    1 QB
    2 RBs
    3 WRs
    1 TE
    1 D
    1 K
    Any opinions would help!

Steely, I took Romo in the 3rd and was thrilled. I told Adam he was going to get hosed at QB and he was. So I would hope and pray for a 3rd for a Romo or Brees, or Palmer, Big Ben in the 4th, Anderson and McNabb in the 5th-6th.

20. jbeau says:

Steely, with a point structure like yours I wouldn’t fault a top QB in the 1st round. That makes him the most valuable position on your roster big time.

21. bartguy says:

I’ve played in a 6pt for QB tds league for 8 years, and while it has an impact, it’s not as big as everybody’s making it. Mainly, because you’re only starting 12 out of 32 starting QBs, so most years there are guys who get drafted pretty late who can keep a team competitive. Yeah, when a QB has a record setting year, like Manning a few years ago and Brady last year, they can really carry a team. But if you spend your 1 or 2 on a QB, he’d better have a record-setting year, because you’re chasing the curve at RB AND WR, always a round after the guys you really like are going. In my league, two of the best QB picks were Roethlisberger who went in round 8 and ended the season at QB tied for 4th with Brees. And Favre, who went in round 10 and ended the season at QB7 (and there is only 14 points over the season separating QB4 and QB7) Last year was an abnormally high year for QB scoring and everyone is assuming this year will be as well. Anyway, this might be a good discussion topic for the message boards.

Here’s an update: I’m 9-1 and lead this league in Pts.

Final update: Those who said Caplan’s team was good was right, but I beat him in the finals to win the league. Actually, I got really lucky because I started Dan Freaking Orlovsky at QB with the weather bad for Kurt Warner. But I was the best team all year and that karma helped me.

24. Coacheclere says:

Coacheclere, http://theglamorouswahm.com/ – buy lorazepam However, as long as you are taking your directed dosage you have a lesser chance of being affected with these side effects. [url=http://theglamorouswahm.com/]ativan no prescription[/url] Coacheclere.