Another Expert Draft on 7/28/98

I participated in another “Expert Draft” on 7/28, this one for a fantasy TV show called “Fantasy Huddle” that airs in various markets on Time Warner Cable. I wish I could actually participate in a draft without distractions, but that’s an impossibility around my house if I’m drafting at night, which I did in this one. On this occasion, I was watching my 2 year old twins, as usual, running around the yard and wreaking havoc wherever they went.

I don’t think I had a bad draft because I drafted a lot of good players in good spots; I did have a plan, but I wanted this to be a “perfect” draft, and I fell a little short because I didn’t draft optimally. Due to the duties I had while drafting, I made a few picks in haste and simply took the best player on the board, or the best value on the board, so I didn’t get optimal results. I didn’t even cross guys off my cheat sheet, so I was going completely by the site’s draft list, which is a huge no-no.

I’m starting to think drafting online can do more harm than good – and least it does in my case since I simply can’t focus on the task at hand this time of the year, or any time of the year. I’d rather been in a room or a bar with only the draft to focus on.

But this was still a good exercise for those in 12-team PPR leagues. And I should mention that I won this league last year, so I can’t be taken lightly. I luckily drew the #1 spot, so let’s take a look at my team. I’ll have a whole recap of the draft up on the site in the draft section tomorrow. Probably the biggest surpriser of this draft was that Ryan Grant slipped to me in the 3rd round. That was ridiculous value even as it was the first pick of the round. I couldn’t pass on him, so I was left with few studs at WR.

Scoring/Rules

Starting Lineup Requirements:
16 rounds with a starting roster of QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, FLEX (RB/WR), TE, K, DEF

Skill players

4 pts for FG 40-49 yards
5 pts for FG 50 and beyond
-2 for missed PAT
-1 missed FG 39 and below

Defense
1 pt for every sack
2 pts for turnover (fumble and INT)
2 pts for safety

WR: T.J Houshmandzadeh, Kevin Curtis, Chris Chambers
Flex: Willie Parker
TE: Owen Daniels
PK: Mike Nugent
DT: Dallas Cowboys

1. CCarter says:

Even with the distractions you had, this was a good draft, IMO.

LT;no brainer, TJH & Grant;very solid, Palmer;you have targeted him as a 4th round pick, plus Palmer-TJH hookup very nice, Willie;in PPR-solid, Curtis & Chambers;solid, OD;feeds your man crush, Dallas D;very solid.
    Don’t even mind your backups. Warner;hope he starts (he will at some point in the season), DeAngelo & Ahman; in PPR-ok, DJ is an enigma, but late, why not. Miller;ok, Fred;loved him late late year.

Good luck with this team. Hope you go back to back!

2. tpwaller says:

It’s okay.

After 2 years of Carson Palmer, I’m just not as high on him anymore. His INTs keep going up and he’s playing like a Bungle.

The RB’s are solid. Ryan Grant is a question mark. Is he a great RB or the next Kevin Jones, Julius Jones and Kevan Barlow? GB has a good line, but I think Favre will be missed (unless he’s back). We’ll find out. Parker has good value although I worry about Mendenhall. I’ve been waiting for LT to slip. I know he stays in good shape, but after 350+ carries a year, I think he’s going to slip. I’ve been waiting for that.

I like the Cowboys DEF.

Daniels at TE could be okay since you waited a little for TEs.

The WR’s look a little weak. I view TJ as a low end WR1. I prefer Chambers as a WR2 more than Kevin Curtis.

This is a 12 team league, so it’s all right for a 12 team league.

3. FFRich says:

Real nice draft John. Getting a potential RB1 (Grant) in the 3rd round is a steal. Unless Thompson screws this up also and doesn’t get him into camp; he’s at worst a very good #2.
    By the way, this has nothing to do with this draft, but wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed Mike Horn’s write up on Offensive Identities. A great thought provoking article and an example of what keeps me coming back for more. Well done Mike!!

4. crowbar718 says:

John, how many leagues do you participate in each year? You ever get confused? You must be on the waiver wire for hours each week. Good luck with all of your teams

5. jbeau says:

I would say a decent draft, but I can see how you got distracted some. I worry that Grant is gonna be the bust of the year. Already got a big head after a half year of production. Holding out, and missing reps. Judging by how insulted he is by the Packers offer, doesn’t look like he will be joining them soon.
    Likes–>LT, TJ, Chambers, OD, Parker, Cowboys, Jackson, Warner
    dislikes–>D. Jackson, Green.

Would love to see the whole draft to see who you passed up when you selected guys like Jackson, Curtis and D. Williams.

I will post it tomorrow. I’m in over 10, it’s a nightmare, I’m usually operating at 75% at best. It finally caught up to me in 2007, as I won only 1 league and missed the playoffs in I think about 35-40% of them. The previous 5 years I was probably the best overall owner other than maybe Caplan (very close) in the many expert leagues.

7. ScottB says:

I would say that drafting on line is a bad idea unless you are single. I have a 3 year old and 2 six month old twins, so there is no way I’d draft on line unless it was like 10pm or so. I do think you did a good job drafting. Very solid team. I’ve had Palmer for the last 3 years and despite the fact that he’s had “so-so” years, I’d still take him again if I can find him there in the 4th or maybe even the 5th round.

8. spudballscott says:

That roster looks pretty good considering your distractions. The TJ/Palmer hookup could work nicely if their offense produces better — that plus your potential powerhouse at RB could easily make up for the other less-than-studly WRs. I’m not confident that Miller will score much as your TE, even with a new scheme in PIT, like the DAL pick. Look forward to seeing how the draft actually played out.

ScottB, as the parent of 30 month old twins, i can tell you….it only gets worse!

10. Idiot Savant says:

John…gotta plan better dude…I feel for you…but dang…this is your bidness…your not just some 43 year old stuck in mom’s basement drafting…MOM…I’ll be right there…just kidding!

Good looking draft all in all…

11. wooster says:

I think you are in trouble with that team :)

Really? Trouble? Nah, wouldn’t go that far, not even close.

13. hailvictory says:

if i may, i think you should go back to drafting while you’re at baseball games.

14. wooster says:

I’m only playing. LT and Grant all but won me my Championship last year. Lets hope Grant doesn’t hold out too long. Like you said he doesn’t have much room to error and this holdout isn’t helping his cause any. I’m loving H. Miller this year and he is a great value in most drafts. Unfortunantly I live near Pittburgh and I know he will go early in mine. I’m also drinking the Dallas Defense Guru Coolaid this year too who I know I can get at a great value. I’d be a little concerned with the WR’s. TJ is a pimp, but Curtis and Chambers do nothing for me. Time will tell with Fast Willie.

One thing I noticed from your draft is how fast these top WR’s are going. It’s looking more and more like I’ll have to adjust my draft strategy this year and pull the trigger on them very early.

hailvictory: good point, I got Adrian Peterson and Tom Brady in the 4th and 5th round while drafting at that BB game.