Jay Cutler killed me, and now I know why

I started Jay Cutler last year in a Week Sixteen Super Bowl game, and he was bad. It wasn’t just an off game; he was horrific, going only 14-for-32 for only 155 yards with 0 TDs and 2 Ints. Yeah, it was against a good Charger defense, but Cutler was able to complete 64% of his passes against that defense earlier in the year, and he enjoyed success against them in his rookie year. It was one of those game in which you had to think to yourself, “what the heck is wrong with this guy?” Well, I think we now know what was wrong with Cutler: he had Type 1 diabetes. Here are some of the symptoms of the disease, symptoms Cutler may have had late last season:

• Weight loss. Despite eating more than usual to relieve hunger, you may lose weight — sometimes rapidly. Without the energy sugar supplies, your muscle tissues and fat stores may simply shrink.
  • Fatigue. If your cells are deprived of sugar, you may become tired and irritable.
  • Blurred vision. If your blood sugar level is too high, fluid may be pulled from your tissues — including the lenses of your eyes. This may affect your ability to focus clearly.

I’m not sure if Cutler experienced weight loss, or blurred vision, but I know he experienced fatigue. It’s hard enough completing an NFL season, a serious grind, but for Cutler to do so and actually show improvement while suffering from the affects of this disease bodes well for his future, now that the disease will be controlled with medication.

My affinity for Cutler has been made clear on this site for a couple of years, and if you’ve see him play, you have to see why I love the guy. He does have to be reined in a little, but it’s dangerous to ask a gunslinger like Cutler stop pulling the trigger. That’s what makes him great, his ability and willingness to throw the rock, no matter what. The deal with Cutler, at this point, is simple: he’s going to be a great one, it’s just a question of when. If you’re looking to catch some lightening in a jar, then take the chance that his greatness comes through in 2008.

I like the additions on offense. It’s not a great receiving corps, but the potential is there for very nice numbers. He does, however, need things to go well for his receiving corps if he’s going to truly bust out this year. First and foremost, TE Tony Scheffler’s foot has to be right, and it’s not now. I interviewed Scheffler last year, and the one thing that stuck with me was him talking about the foot injury, Scheffler said he wouldn’t wish the injury on his own worst enemy (you can hear that interview here: http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/audioPop.jsp?episodeId=68294&cmd=apop

I’m hoping for the best for Scheffler, a really nice guy, because he could be a fantasy stud. I’m also hoping Darrell Jackson is healthy. If so, there are a lot of weapons here for Cutler, and that guy is more than able to take full advantage of them.

1. Gump says:

I’m assuming “It’s now a great receiving corps” is a typo. Should be “It’s not a great receiving corps”.

2. jbeau says:

Agree that Cutler will be a great one. They fix their OL, get him a defense and they are SuperBowl contenders. DJax, Marshall and Stokely are more than capable, and we all know that we could plug John in the backfield and he would run for 1000 yds.

Disagree that he was tired at the end of the year. Other than that game, he played well in December. 3 games didn’t throw a pick. The game after that SD game, he played a MINN team playing for the playoffs(actually not sure if they were still in the hunt) and had a great game. What it is, is that he soiled the bed against his divisional rivals. He threw 6 TDs against KC, SD, and Oak, and with the exception of 1 against Oakland all the others were against KC(with 4 in one game) That’s not gonna cut it. He needs to play better against division rivals, to take the next step.

But I do like Cutler, and I am hoping he slips to the 6th or 7th round in my drafts. I will be targeting him and Delhomme, unless I get a value I can’t pass up.

That’s also kind of the point, that he was *definitely* dealing with the issues, yet he was pretty good late. But he was definitely illin’ late in the year, and I think it really came out in the SD game.

4. jbeau says:

You be illin’ Cutler. Man you can tell you are my age and from Jersey. hahaha.

5. tpwaller says:

I drafted Cutler on one of my teams last year. I thought he provided mediocre production. We thought he’d produce a breakout season like Carson Palmer – he wasn’t even close.

He had one great game against KC with 4 TD’s and 0 INTs.

Against PITT, he threw 3 TD’s and 2 INTs.

He topped 300 yards in a games twice.

Cutler had 4 games where he threw for less than 200 yards.

In 11 games, he threw 0 or 1 TD. That doesn’t cut it.

He’s young which can be his excuse. DEN likes to run the ball. If I were waiting on a QB, I might pair Cutler with another QB option. Will Cutler lead you to a Fantasy Football championship? Doubtful.

6. ranger764 says:

Cutler did lose about 30 lbs. last season, so I’m sure his overall health along with his arm strength etc did dip as the season wore on. They have talked about this a lot on the local sports radio station here in Denver and they said by training camp he should be up to speed in recognizing the signs and pretty much have it mostly under control. Look for Sevlin Young to catch a lot of passes from him this year too!

7. ScottB says:

I had Cutler on my team last year as a back up to Carson Palmer. At the end of the year I looked at the stats and I actually could have gone with Cutler many times. I plan on drafting him as my starter this year if I can.

Yeah, if we all drafted based on previous year’s numbers fantasy would be pretty bland. Sometimes you have to actually project success based on a player’s skills. Good info on Cutler on the weight, I actually didn’t know that.

9. jbeau says:

I agree John, You guys are useless if people wanted to drafted based on last years numbers. People think Brady is gonna be the same beast this year, but I disagree…I think Peyton takes back the reigns this year.

10. tpwaller says:

I agree with your statement that you can’t look solely at last year, however, you can’t ignore it either.

You look at last year to see if there are positive signs.

- In 11 games, he threw 0 or 1 TD

- He topped 300 yards in a games twice.

I don’t view those as positive signs.

Yes, he can improve and yes he is young. However when you are going up against a team with Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Peyton Manning or Drew Brees, and you can 0 or 1 TD per games with Cutler, you’d in a big hole.

I also think that the girl Pam from The Office is pretty cute, and I wouldn’t mind getting with that.
    However, when she’s going up against Jessica Alba, Katherine Heigl, and Scarlett Johansson, she doesn’t look as great.

12. tpwaller says:

You draft Jay Cutler and write excuses. I’ll draft a real quarterback.

13. jbeau says:

TP, I think you missed the point of the post. The words I took from this post are “catch lighting in a bottle” . In other words, the guy has the mechanics, arm, balls to become a very good, if not great QB. Most people will pick 6 or 7 guys before him. He can be got for a good value(a la Kitna last year for at least 7 games), while you stack up on WRs and RBs. Not sure how he isn’t a real QB.

Turn off the lights John … turn off the lights.

15. JOOCE says:

haha that Pam from The Office quote was spot on, Jerry, spot on.

Did Cutler really lose 30 lbs during the season? Maybe team doctors should have been a little more proactive…

16. SOG knives says:

SOG knives

Interesting ideas… I wonder how the Hollywood media would portray this?