Marshawn, Marshawn, Marshawn!

You better believe the person who does my laundry knows exactly how I reacted this morning when I learned of Bill RB Marshawn Lynch’s possible off the field troubles.

In case you haven’t heard, a car reportedly registered to Lynch was involved in a possible hit-and-run accident late Saturday night /Sunday morning near a Buffalo bar. Luckily, for all parties involved, the person, who was a woman, was able to get up and walk away under her own power.

I’m really hoping for the best for Lynch. I’m hoping he wasn’t in that car, or at the least wasn’t driving. It’s unfortunate, because this incident flies in the face of my interview with Lynch, on a few levels, so I’m hoping it’s a non-issue in a day or two. I’m hoping to roll with the article, as is, with no edits or editor’s note.

I wanted to make two other points here today relating to this topic.

1. There’s no such thing as a cover jinx. To say that a human who is on top is jinxed after he falls off his perch is almost like winning 10 consecutive hands of blackjack and then saying you’re jinxed after you lose one. People are put on covers because they’re on top, and life has a funny way of knocking you down off your high horse when you’re at the pinnacle, and for a variety of reasons. Not to get all religious, but it’s like the lyrics in the new Coldplay song, which is excellent by the way:

I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy’s eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing:
“Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!”

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

I brought up religion because, in case you didn’t notice, there are some religious overtones to those lyrics. But I think everyone, religious or not, can relate to the concept, and it definitely applies to pro athletes.

2. This is just another example of how tough this job is. We’re dealing with human beings here, imperfect beings who err. Make no mistake, while we may get a little over the top at times praising someone’s apparent moral fiber or character, you never know about a person. That’s why 4 out of 5 people who lived next door to murderers usually say something like “He seemed like a nice guy; he just kept to himself.” It’s a great challenge because, you can analyze all you want, but ultimately it comes down to the person.

I don’t know Marshawn Lynch very well, obviously, but I think I know people. I will say this about this situation after spending 30 minutes face-to-face with Lynch: I don’t know if he was involved or not, but I must admit I’m surprised it’s even come up and that he might even be in some trouble.

If that sounds like an endorsement, it was, and I hope I’m right.

1. Brisco says:

“Bills spokesman Scott Berchtold said Lynch’s attorney was out of town and will address the matter when he returns.”

My gut tells me that if his biggest client was, in fact, driving the vehicle, the attorney would have returned early from his trip… although it is a little troubling that Lynch had someone on retainer.

2. tpwaller says:

Right now, I have to view this and a wait and see.

Lynch was solid last year, but I’m still going to be careful before I invest too high a pick on him.

I think this the system has a big impact on a player’s value. You look at Joseph Addai. He dropped to the Colts at the end of the first round. Several RBs were drafted ahead of him. However, because he’s in a great system, he looks like a great RB. I think he’d be an average player in a system like DET, HOU or CHI.

Lynch is on the Bills. I am definitely not sold on Trent Edwards. If Edwards can’t get the Bills down the field, Lynch doesn’t score big TD’s. Last year, Lynch had 7 TD’s which is good not great. He’s young so that number can improve, but let’s see.

I might consider Lynch as a low RB1 or a RB2.

3. FFRich says:

“I don’t know if he was involved or not….” Of course he was involved, at least indirectly. Unless his vehicle was stolen, it was involved in a hit and run at 3:30 in the morning. Regardless if it was him or one of his “posse”, an immature, irresponsible person driving his vehicle struck a pedestrian AND didn’t stop. Fortunately, the person who was struck by the vehicle seems not to have incurred any serious injuries.
    Your statement “I’m really hoping for the best for Lynch. I’m hoping he wasn’t in that car, or at the least wasn’t driving.” is absurd. If he was in the car, regardless if he was driving or not, it shows ridiculously poor judgement and immaturity not to stop and help the victim. WOW!!

W O W!! You’re pretty harsh FFRich.

Do you think the person hit walking the street at 3:30 am was out banging on doors spreading the words of the church? Do you think it’s possible some drunk person walked in front of the vehicle at 3:30am on a Saturday night in a club district? Leaving a scene of an accident is obviously wrong, but I find it less offensive if a car is rolling along at 5 miles an hour – which is possible because the victim walked away on her own power – and some drunk person walked in front of the car. I don’t know about you, but I’ve been laid out on the street at 3am near a bar before, and I’ve never been hit by a car. The person could have been messing with the driver of the car, or the person could have been 99% drunk and 1% hurt, but you don’t seem to be interested in considering the possibilities, most notably the most vital one as to whether or not he was driving or even in the car.
    Let me know where you live, please. I’d like to avoid going to that area for the rest of my life just in case I make a mistake that could put me on trial and I happen to get you on my jury.

5. FFRich says:

I really don’t believe many parts of the country condone hit and runs regardless of the apparent injuries of the victim or even if the victim was the party more at fault. The mistake was not stopping.. period. Attempting to cast the person hit as the guilty party still doesn’t relieve the driver of the vehicle from the responsibility of stopping. By the way I live on the Jersey shore. I stand by my statement that Lynch showed terrible judgement not stopping if he was in the vehicle and less poor judgement in allowing his vehicle to be in a situation where this could occur. Can’t these guys afford limo drivers or at least cabs??

I certainly agree with you. When I said “I’m really hoping for the best for Lynch” I meant “the best” for Lynch being that he wasn’t driving, and especially wasn’t in the car. I was trying to lay out possible scenarios to explain that it’s premature to judge Lynch. I in no way condone anyone leaving the scene of an accident like that.

BTW, as you may know, I also live and work on the Jersey shore, so I will pay closer attention to the road :0)

Phone call for you Marshawn …

A “Mr. Goodell” on Line 1.

Note to self: NEVER conduct your fantasy draft until AFTER the Labor Day Weekend!

8. Stork says:

You kidding, Marshawn looks like a very sound driver:

At least Marshawn drives with his helmet on.

10. JOOCE says:

even if some dumb drunk chick dove in front of my car, I would still pull over… unless of course i was driving drunk and didn’t want to get caught, though that is a big assumption. it is a safe assumption to say that the driver either has no conscience or had something to hide.

11. Flizzo says:

Whoever was driving definitely should have stopped and checked out the situation.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Lynch wasn’t anywhere near the car though. For all we know it could have been his Mom driving it.

12. jbeau says:

JOOCE has put it best. There is no doubt that the person driving the car was drunk, had drugs or a weapon in the car. Otherwise, there is no reason not to stop. Leaving the scene of an accident is not as meaningful as getting caught drunk driving or with drugs or weapons. Pure speculation here, but just my opinion. Also wouldn’t be surprised if he wasn’t even in the car. I have lent my car out before.

13. tpwaller says:

There is a lot of assumptions that the car was loaned. I don’t know how many cars these NFL players have. It’s rare I lend my car.

If nothing else, leaving the scene of an accident (hit and run) is bad news for Marshawn.

I think FFRich is right, we shouldn’t be quick to excuse these actions.

Didn’t Randy Moss bump a police officer and get away with it?

14. jbeau says:

Hahaha. I think he accidentally rolled into one. I am definitely not out to excuse any actions, but we don’t know enough about the situation. The first thing these guys do is buy their mom a house, and buy themself a car or 3. I know if I had that kind of money, I would have no problem lending my homie a car for the night.

15. Brisco says:

An Update:

• Marshawn Lynch, RB (Buf.) – Police investigators are growing impatient with Lynch and his failure to meet with them more than three days after his vehicle was involved in a hit-and-run accident.

I am starting to get more troubled about this. I am having a difficult time dreaming up scenarios in which Lynch is not blameworthy and yet he avoids talking to the police.

16. CCarter says:

FFRich who made you judge and jury?! Isn’t Everyone in this country supposed to be innocent, Until Proven Guilty?! Not the other way around.
    How many stupid things did you do in your 20’s?? God knows I did plenty. And still do in my 40’s.

Also, Keep Goodell out of this. He’s already made some terrible decisions as commissioner. These guys are Football players, not choirboys! Lets not kid ourselves, football is a violent sport. We wouldn’t want it any other way. According to Dana White, the NFL is a more violent game than the UFC fight game. I.e. more deaths, more concussions, more broken stuff… Do we care how long Ortiz, Liddell or Kimbo’s rap sheet is?? No. As long as we’re entertained, who gives 2 cents what these guys do on their own time.
    Same should apply to Marshawn. And Britney for that matter. :)

17. FFRich says:

CCarter..by NO means am I attempting to be Judge OR jury. I merely stated that the driver of the vehicle that reportedly belongs to Lynch made an irresponsible and immature judgement in leaving the scene of an accident (hit and run). I agree completely that what anyone, including pro athletes, does is their business and certainly no concern of the public’s and certainly none of mine. BUT that’s assuming what they’re doing is within the confines of acceptable behavoir. Engaging in a hit and run, in almost anyone’s definition, is NOT acceptable behavoir. I have no idea if you have a daughter or a sister or some other female in your life that is important to you. What if they were a victim of a hit and run, should no one care because it’s none of their business? A woman was hit by a vehicle owned by Lynch. She reportedly was on the ground for 15 minutes and transported to the hospital for treatment. Also reportedly there was a noticeable dent in the vehicle caused by the impact along with parts of the vehicle at the scene of the accident. So, it seems apparent that this was more than a vehicle merely “bumping” a pedestrain.
    How anyone can even attempt to try an justify the actions of the driver of the vehicle seems absurd to me. My initial response was to John’s comments that seemed to me to be only concerned with how this might play out for Lynch. I merely tried to point out that if Lynch was in the vehicle he acted very inappropriately by not stopping. If he wasn’t in the vehicle then he was still indirectly involved because he obviously loaned it to an immature, irresponsible acquaintance. This assumes it wasn’t stolen, which it seems it wasn’t.
    How anyone can try and justify the actions of the driver of Lynch’s vehicle is well beyond my comprehension.
    It’s also amazing to me that people will make staements like “As long as we’re entertained, who gives 2 cents what these guys do on their own time.” EVERYONE should give 2 cents if what they’re doing is illegal.
    As John stated, hopefully all Lynch is guilty of is poor judgement in who he loans his vehicle to.

Phone call for you Marshawn …

It’s your attorney on Line 2,

Apparently some lady with a tiremark tatoo is interested in obtaining a rather large sum of your money.

Psychic Hotline to CCarter:

“I sense your real name is O.J. Simpson …”

Just joking CCarter …

Let’s hope this Lynch thing gets over quick, and we can get back to football. It’s much more fun to read about football stuff in these blogs than crime reports.

21. Stork says:

Seems interesting to me that his attorney said, “No comment” rather than flatly denying that Lynch had anything to do with the incident.
    Police have impounded the vehicle registered to Lynch, and discovered it has some front-end damage, DeGeorge said.

He said a police surveillance camera at the intersection was operational, but wouldn’t say whether it filmed the accident.

According to a police accident report submitted by officer Edwin Torres, the pedestrian was attempting to cross the street when she was struck by the right-front corner of the vehicle, which was attempting to complete a left turn. The report noted that the vehicle sustained most damage to its right-front quarter-panel.

The report also said a broken piece of the vehicle was recovered at the scene and kept as evidence.

The name and address of both the victim and the vehicle’s registered owner are blacked out on the report. Also blacked out is a witness statement obtained by police at the scene.

22. tpwaller says:

Stork, interesting Lynch’s attorney had no comments.

People assume if you (someone in trouble with the law) refuse to answer questions, you are guilty. If Lynch were not guilty, he would come out and say it. By answering no comments, he is not saying he’s “not guilty.”

If the incident occurred 3 days ago, the police’s patience is beginning to run thin.

23. Stork says:

Just a guess but it sounds like the police are intentionally being vague about the camera so as not to tip their hand here. If Lynch’s attorney knew that nothing could place Marshawn behind the wheel it would be much easier to make a statement saying so.

24. jbeau says:

Those cameras are meant to capture license plate numbers and really can’t see inside a car unless they get a perfect angle. Someone is watching too much CSI. “No comment” is another way to say, “we are getting our story straight amongst all parties.” Absolutely no reason he wouldn’t talk to the cops unless something fishy is going on. Hey John, IF he is guilty of this, are you still gonna put him on the cover?

If it came to surface that Lynch was behind the wheel, then I would seriously consider pulling the cover story. Unfortunately, there’s a small detail of a deadline at play here. Perhaps the city of Buffalo should close their bars earlier, 3-4am is really late, or do something with that intersection because apparently people get clipped there at that time all the time coming out of the bars.

26. Stork says:

I am interested to see how this plays out. The girl sounds like she’s fine so I can’t imagine Lynch will be in too much trouble…but his unwillingness to talk to police on the matter certainly raises a flag.

27. CCarter says:

FFRich, maybe its just me, but… I swear your last diatribe sounded like “Judge and Jury”, again.

Hey PackFan, Not the Juice, but I am a Kardashian fan. Kim Kardashian that is! :)
    Sorry to see your boy Brett retire. My Condolences.

Keep him on the cover John. Nobody was maimed or died for that matter. If Kobe Bryant and Ray Lewis can still get TV endorsements, your mag cover will be fine.

Kim Kardashian? Now why did you have to bring her up? She pretty much ruined last year’s cover guy, Reggie Bush!

Jeez, I wish I could go back to 2004 and bask in the glory of LaDainian….

29. CCarter says:

And the crowd at Qualcomm Stadium chanted,
    “LT! LT! LT! LT! LT! LT! LT! LT! LT!”
    Go Chargers!

30. FFRich says:

CCarter…After your initial posting I’m not at all perplexed that you still don’t “get it”. By the way, I believe you might be the kind of person John is looking for to be on his jury if that situation ever arose!! Although if he or a member of his family were the victim and the accused was a pro athlete/entertainer, I suspect he might feel differently.

31. JOOCE says:

At least four witnesses saw Marshawn behind the wheel.

I keep researching this because I have an interesting trade offer on the table involving Lynch coming my way…

32. JOOCE says:

Witnesses saw Lynch at the wheel:

I keep researching this as I have a trade offer on the table involving Lynch coming to my team…

33. jbeau says:

Stay away from that trade. This could get ugly.

34. [...] *Please note the tremendous amount of sarcasm in this post. I am laying it on pretty thick.  I really hope that they don’t think that this will create any sympathy for him.  The only reasonable solution as has been stated all around the blogesphere is for one of his friends to step up and take the rap. [...]

35. bjchapin says:

Hey John, what do think of Marshawn’s latest transgression? This guy’s a POS and starting to be an embarressment to the Buffalo organization.

Actually, I’ve heard some stuff about Lynch recently I can’t even repeat and it lends a lot of credence to the notion that he’s not nearly as much to blame for his issues than everything thinks. We can argue till the cows come home about the incident last year and how at fault he was, and having an unregistered weapon isn’t good, but calling him a POS is over the top. He’s not OJ for God’s sake.