The Preseason is over, time to start picking on Grossman

We updated a lot of stuff on the site early this week for those still drafting. As of right now, the preseason is officially over for me. Whew. Wow, that was a lot of work keeping up with everything. We didn’t get a single complaint about our rankings, projections, news, etc. not being up-to-date, so I think we got the job done.

Now that it’s the regular season, it’s time to start picking on Rex Grossman. He’s five days from his 2007 debut, but why not start now? The shame of it is, after he plays against a Charger defense that has better talent than any other in the league, everyone will likely be picking on him come Monday. What I still don’t get, though, is how, if you’re only as good as your last performance, and I think you are in pro sports, how come Grossman gets crucified and Ben Roethlisberger is a God?

Grossman last year led his team to the Super Bowl in his first year as the full-time starter and threw 20 INTs
Roethlisberger led his team out of the playoffs in his third year as the starter and he threw 23 INTs.

Now, I fully conceed that Grossman has to get under control and play better. There is no question that is true. But I’m already going to give him an early pass on what will likely be a rough outing on the road on Sunday.

But man am I hoping he can play well.

On another note, I got my first look at my first matchup for this week in one of my Expert Leagues. I think I’m looking pretty good here:

PPR League

Smith, Steve CAR WR
Walker, Javon DEN WR
Shockey, Jeremy NYG TE
Rackers, Neil ARI PK
Broncos, Denver DEN Def

1. jbeaupierre says:

Quick comment on the expert league. If the guy you are playing is considered an expert, then where do I sign up?? His team is garbage. Did he fall asleep in the draft? He has three decent players, the rest are waiver wire pickups. Hahaha. You should have an easy go of it the first week John, real easy.

On the Rex Grossman topic, I have him in a few of my leagues as my no. 2 qb. Goes without saying that he will not be starting this week against the sack happy Chargers. I predict 3 – 4 sacks, two fumbles, one INT, and 2 tds.

2. almac says:

No wonder you have won so many expert leagues. No average fantasy player nevermind an “expert” would be starting Leinert, Kennison, Wilford, or Miller. That is a pathetic lineup and can not be considered an “expert” anything.

3. bangon says:

man…your opponent must have been wasted.

4. Flizzo says:

This looks like a blowout in the making. Having said that, I don’t know what other options you have, but I’m a little surprised at the pseudo-risky Adrian Peterson play.

When I’m looking that good in a matchup against somebody, I’d probably go with a safer/less upside guy, if available. But you are the guru for a reason! Hansen–sell me on AP this week! I have him in two leagues, and can’t decide if I should start him over C Taylor…or maybe even flex to WR (Bruce/Furrey)…away from the Vikings backfield completely.

The only reason I mentioned this is because it was an unusually bad lineup. Most of the time they are tougher matchups. I actually think the expert leagues are harder then ever these days overall. Real leagues are, so certainly the expert ones should be.

I have Julius Jones on my bench, I’m rolling with AP at home in a very winable game. They will run, run, run, and AP will light up the home crowd.

Yeah … I’m thinking Ernest and Eddie might not light it up too much this weekend, so you might be breathing easy right from the start. But hey! Let’s just hope that a guy with 9 kids from 9 women living in 4 states doesn’t play like he’s got a lot o’ mouths to feed.

Good point about Big Ben … but hey, he’s got a sandwich named after him, so he gets mulligan or two.

7. drunkmonk says:

Agreed on Grossman, I took him in the 11th round over the weekend and got laughed at. The guy right after me took Rothlisberger and asked me what was I thinking? We’ll see.

I also have AP and don’t think I’m gonna pull the trigger on him just yet. I’m gonna go with A.Green v KC and hope for the best. Not to say after I read the rest of your analysis this week I won’t be persuaded.

Good luck.

8. houndz says:

Grossman will end up OK. Maybe not this week, but it will be good for him to get his “bad” games out of the way.