Aug 29, 2007
I officially have sympathy for those forced to partake in drafts where a) the players don’t know what they’e doing b) the computer picks for them or c) both.
I finally did the teenager draft I talked about a week or so ago. We had the 8th pick in a 12-teamer, and of course it was only 14 rounds so some great players were left on the board. I couldn’t imagine having to account for some bad picks and most especially for the fact that many players were being picked on auto pilot, but now I can. That meant having to take Tony Romo in the 5th just because we had to get a good option, and being forced to take the Ravens D in the 7th (granted, this league was *very* heavy on defense and points and yardage allowed.
Man, this was annoying, but here’s how the draft went.
1 – Willie Parker
2 – Laurence Maroney – Took him over Henry because I knew I could get Sammy Morris. Of course I didn’t because it was only 14 rounds and it was take Morris or like Jerious Norwood. If I could do it over I would take Steve Smith or Chad Johnson because there was ridiculous value at RB in the 3rd and 4th round.
3. Andre Johnson
4. Roy Williams
5. Tony Romo – Sonofa…but it’s 6 pts per TD and he will get some.
6. Bernard Berrian – Sportsline had him high, so I was going to get screwed with someone taking him before it came back to me. It was early, but f-it.
7. Raven DT – Had to do it, you should have seen the lame DT run 2 rounds later on autopick.
8. Jamal Lewis – TD heavy league
9. Deanglo Williams – Had to take him
10. Kevin Curtis – Finally, I actually get value.
11. Jerious Norwood – Could not believe he was there; apparently, sportsline has him ranked really low.
12. Owen Daniels – Had to get a starter, at least he could be very good. Scaife not drafted. Got hosed by a kid I used to give rides to 9-year old travel baseball games just 5 years ago who took Vernon Davis right in front of me. Little bastard (actually, he’s 6 foot now).
13. Rex Grossman – blah, blah, blah, upside backup
14. Joe Nedney – absolute garbage at PK, was forced to take one.
So I have ridiculous depth at RB, but I couldn’t really kill these kids because there were so many good players on the board. The lesson? I’d MUCH rather draft against the experts then kids and the freaking autopilot.
Baltimore Defense – Remember that it’s *very* DT heavy, points for pts against and yards against.