This year’s cover boy to be revealed soon (and more)

I may not be able to post tomorrow because I’m headed to New York City to interview this year’s FantasyGuru.com Magazine Cover Boy. I’m not going to disclose who he is here – especially since I haven’t actually conducted the interview – but if all goes as planned, I’ll be sitting down with one of the biggest stars in the sports world tomorrow. The player is in town, of course, for the NFL Draft, as many big-time players are.

If the interview goes as planned, it should be one of our best ones because there are a lot of interesting questions to ask this player. I never rest easy until the interview is completed because dealing with these major star athletes can be tricky.

Actually, with my wireless broadband Internet, I may log on from this player’s hotel, right after the interview, to at least let readers know I’ve secured the sit-down with my guy, my #1 pick for the mag this year.

Feel free to comment below and give me your best guess as to who this person is.

Here are some other random thoughts on my mind today:

Make sure you get in the habit of checking out our new Keeper & Dynasty League Blog. I’ve been trying to find a place for frequent and long-time contributor Floyd the Barber to offer up his extremely astute thoughts on keeper and dynasty league prospects, strategies, etc. and this is the perfect forum. I’ll be reading every word of it, and if I disagree I’ll comment. I highly doubt I will, however, since Floyd knows what he’s talking about.

I’m getting sick and tired of hearing how QB Brady Quinn will be a bust. He will almost certainly not be a bust. He might be just an average starter, but there’s something to be said for that given all the bust #1 picks at the QB position. However, all bets are off if the Vikings draft him. If Brad Childress and Rick Spielman are enamored with Quinn, that probably means he’ll be a disappointment.

I’m also sick of people talking about how disappointing the Sopranos have been for the last few years. Of course it’s not as good as the first 2-3 years of the series, but it’s still the best show on TV. It’s tough to wrap up such a great series in only 7-8 episodes, but I’m a big fan of this year’s first three shows. Man I thought for sure Paulie was going to get clipped last week. He has it coming. I feel a little bad for James Gandolfini; I don’t think he’ll ever shake the character of Tony Soprano. He’s been so damn good. I don’t know about you, but he’s also cracked me up for years.

I’m really hoping the Chargers can acquire a top wideout in this weekend’s draft. I look at the list of possible breakout QBs and value picks, and Philip Rivers stands out to me. I think it’s safe to say LT won’t score 31 TDs in 2007, so the production has to go somewhere. Rivers struggled later in the season, but those struggles had nothing to do with his talent and probably everything to do with his inexperience – and I love Vincent Jackson.

I had a clear sign last night that I’m getting old. I was at the gym, watching TV, and transfixed by a very attractive girl staring in a commercial for something. The problem, I soon discovered, was that the girl was Cheryl Ladd, who starred on a TV show 30 years ago – and the commercial was for a product having to do with menopause. Oh I still like looking at the young ones – but it’s over for me.

I can’t take the show Lost anymore. I’ve been ripping it since Season One, and I rarely watch it closely, but the rest of my family is enthralled by this train wreck, so I’m forced to see a little of it. The title fits, at least, since the writers and the viewers are very Lost. Unless they pull off one of the best writing jobs in the history of television, this show could go down as the most frustrating to watch of all time. At least it’s shot very well, but the storylines are all over the map, and there’s no direction to it. Watching this show is exactly like that huge book you started to read – and eventually hate – that you have to finish just because you have so much time invested in it.

Enjoy the draft this weekend. It’s right up there with the Super Bowl and the conference title games in terms of interest, as far as I’m concerned.

Category: Fantasy Football, FantasyGuru.com News, General, Movies/Film

1. Tom44 says:

Gotta be Mike Vick

2. seathurms says:

It’s LJ.

Thanks for the great content, John and I’m looking forward to the keeper blog.

3. JOOCE says:

My guess is Frank Gore or Christopher Moltisanti.

Johnson & Johnson – either Larry or Chad

5. LionsFan says:

Holy Sweet Jeebus, I cannot believe you mentioned “Lost”. It is as though our lives are parallel universes. My family LOVES this show and I think it’s the dumbest thing since my middle school drama productions.

What a stupid, stupid, show.

I joked to them that at the end of one episode, the writers could have Jack, Sawyer, and Kate all staring at a giant rotating flapjack suspended 30 feet in the air and emanating sparks, ending with the giant word “LOST” slowly fading to black, and it wouldn’t make any less sense than anything else the show has done.

OK, now that this is off my chest.

I believe you are going to be talking to none other than Peyton Manning tomorrow.

As far as Quinn, I am beginning to think the Lions would be fine with taking him at #2. Clearly, this guy will know how to run a pro offense, and everyone knows if you are going to turn a franchise around, you do it with a QB.

I still like Johnson, but Quinn would be A-OK, too.

6. MikeC says:

You stole my thunder, LionsFan. As soon as I started reading, the first name that popped into my head was Peyton Manning.

Although, if I was smart, I’d do some research to find out if he is actually going to be in New York tomorrow :)

Manning would be a great one, especially this year, but I like to get guys who fantasy owners are still at least a tiny bit unsure of, Steve Smith last year being an exception.

No one has mentioned the guy yet, but I was able to secure the interview and it went very well. Got a little hairy in terms of obtaining it, but we got our guy. I will reveal him in a little bit. Just want to make those other mags wait a little longer :0)

8. MikeC says:

Oh, I know, it’s Corey Chavous, he’s always at the draft :)

OK, I’ll take one more stab in the dark. Given my knowledge from being a loyal reader of the site and your excitement level here, how about:

Chad Johnson

On another note, I stopped watching Lost after the beginning of Season 2 where they went down to that bunker and had to keep resetting that stupid thing every hour or whatever. I knew right then and there that nothing was getting resolved. It’s too bad, because the show had some potential in Season 1.

On the other hand, my favorite current shows are:

Family Guy
    Law and Order SVU
    House
    The Office
    30 Rock

Are you actually attending the Draft tomorrow, John? Or were you just in New York for the interview(s)? Either way, can’t wait to read your thoughts on what transpires in the next 48 hours or so. I’ve always been a draft junkie (although, growing up, my Jets always screwed up their picks – which in a perverse way, added to the fun). I’m also interested to see how the new commish, Roger Goodell, handles announcing each pick. It used to annoy me how Tags would always add an “uhhhh” each time he announced a pick, I.E:

“With the, Uhhhhhh, 10th pick in the 2006 Draft, the Uhhhhh Arizona Cardinals select, Matt Leinart”

Tags would have been great on Beavis and Butthead :)

9. LionsFan says:

Tom Brady. Definitely Tom Brady.

10. LionsFan says:

Reggie Bush. Definitely Reggie Bush.

That’s funny on the “Uhh” stuff. I do that when I order food. I’ll take – uhhh — the surf & turf.

I didn’t go to the draft. I could get credentials, but I actually prefer to watch it at home, and my kids are usually playing on baseball games on Saturdays in late April so I got in the habit of not going.

Well John – you called it . . . McCowan goes to the Raiders. Granted, he joins Russell – but he’s there. The Patriots are the best fit for Moss too … perhaps he goes up on your receivers list? How will this move affect Tom Brady?

13. MikeC says:

Moss to the Patriots is one of the best things that could have happened for him. As long as Moss is happy, he won’t be a problem. As long as the team is winning and Moss is getting his share of balls, he’ll be happy. Plus, Belichek has laid down the law to him up front – one slip up and he’s gone. Plus, Moss has re-structured his contract and all the Pats gave up was a 4th rounder. Very little risk for the Pats in this deal. If he doesn’t work out, they just cut him and move on. As a Jets fan, I hate this move. Good thing the Jets have been concentrating on Defense – they are going to need all the defensive help they can get trying to slow down the Pats. The only thing I question is, when the Pats were winning all their championships, they had a certain philosophy (the same philosophy Tangini (Tannenbaum and Mangini) are employing now with the Jets). Now, it seems they have ditched that philosophy, going more for guys with questionable character and more “superstars” with big-time egos. Will this change in philosophy hurt the team chemistry that was so crucial to their championship runs?

On the other hand, I actually feel kinda bad for the Raiders. Moss is still one of the best WR’s of all time, and it’s sad to see that all they could get for him was a 4th round pick.

As far as fantasy value, you’ve gotta think Moss climbs back into the top 12 or so. This move also must help the value of Brady and Lawrence Maroney. This Patriot offense may average in the range of 23 to 27 points per game this year. They are going to be explosive.

Good comments from MikeC. I just couldn’t see Moss in a Packer uniform, let alone living in the city of Green Bay. Here, I think he becomes “Dandy Doodles – the flashy wide receiver with the attitude problem” (from the Mike & Mike commerical) but in New England – that’s another story. Moss seems to make a good team better and a bad team worse and the Packers have a ways to go. The Raiders really get a boost from the salary cap perspective. Besides, I was getting tired of hearing the Moss for Aaron Rodgers trade rumours. We’ve now passed on Leinert, Cutler and Quinn . . . so I think Rodgers is the heir apparent to Favre.

Although I’m a dyed in the wool Packer fan, I’m also lucky enough to be an NFL fan in general … and I think it’s going to be a lot of fun to watch Mangini and Belichek go at it over the next few years. Throw the Chargers and Colts into the mix, and it’s going to be a war when we get to the playoffs. Looking forward to it.

The NFC North picked up some weapons with Calvin Johnson going to the Lions, Adrian Petersen to the Vikes and Greg Olsen to the Bears. Not so sure I’m looking forward to seeing these guys twice a year.

15. MikeC says:

I hear ya, Pack Fan, but honestly, I don’t feel too sorry for you. At least your team has won a championship during your lifetime. I’m a 33 year old Jets fan……I’m still waiting :) Our history is filled with horrible management, near misses, and plain old bad luck. You know the Jets were all set to draft Brett Favre when the Falcons traded up 1 pick ahead of them. Instead, we get the immortal Browning Nagle.

In all seriousness, It’s a really tough situation right now in Green Bay. On one hand, you’ve got an aging, first-ballot-Hall-of-Fame QB who is the ultimate fan favorite. He desperately wants to make one more run at a title before he rides off into the sunset. On the other hand, you’ve got a new GM and coach who have an aging, talent deficient roster to deal with. They have to consider the long-term success of the team, and not just the next year or 2. Sure, it would have been nice to add some new weapons for Favre, but I’m sure from the perspective of the GM and coach, they would say that they can’t mortgage the future to do it.

Now, it’s come out today that the Pats were the only team that Moss was willing to restructure his contract for. What would the salary cap ramifications have been for the Packers to add Moss’s almost 10 million dollar salary this year? And he’s scheduled to make over 11 million next year.

The move I think that would have really helped the offense this year would have been Michael Turner. They took Brandon Jackson in round 2. It’s too bad they couldn’t have packaged that pick and maybe another pick to get Turner.